Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-17-2011, 02:47 PM

Default Hum in MBox inputs... Hum Eliminator didn't work, blnced cables didn't...

Hum X didn't work (its basically a noise gate as when I play a note, the hum comes back with the tone that is supposed to be played).

The keyboard is an Alesis QS 6.1. I get hum on either input of the MBox, it doesn't matter if I come out of the mains on the Alesis or if I go headphone jack, the hum is still there.

The hum is still there if I plug everything into the same power strip, the hum is still there when I use headphones instead of speakers etc.

I don't know what to do next... I think I've tried every permutation of combincations of things... I wonder if a $200 power conditioner will help? That's a hefty price but worth it if it actually solved this issue...

Oh... just some symptoms:

Unbalanced cables make the hum worse.... any connectors in between cable from main or headphones onthe output of the keybaord and the input on the Mbox makes it worse. A hum eliminator will double the hum noise and make the system dangerous (i get zapped when touching metal parts when this configuration is in place).

What's going on here?

D
Old 02-17-2011, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Hum in MBox inputs... Hum Eliminator didn't work, blnced cables didn't...

Check to see that no cable TV items are interfacing with you audio setup.
Sometimes when you use a cable box to get digital music channels, the ground differential may cause a hum.
Just a thought.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Hum in MBox inputs... Hum Eliminator didn't work, blnced cables didn't...

I tracked it down.

Why I didn't try this before I don't know. It seemed unfathomable that my keyboard was causing it, but it is. I don't know if it is power-related but I kinda doubt it. I can't believe it. No wonder I try every permutation (including getting shocked) to find this out. I need a new keyboard or at least need to get this thing fixed.

Doh.

D
Old 02-17-2011, 03:32 PM

That was exactly what I was about to type in(to try another keyboard). Glad you got it solved

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-17-2011, 07:40 PM

Most of the time it is just the power supply thats messed up. If it is a wall wart, try another one. If not fixing it still may be cheaper than buying another one. Good luck!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 PM

try a TS 1/4" with only the Tips connected or the Shied lifted on one side

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig