Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-20-2015, 05:29 AM

Default Delay compensation Problem when tracking

Hi guys,

I'm running into a bit of a problem with PT11's delay compensation.Here's the situation. I do a lot of bass recordings at home. These recorded parts need to be sent to other people. I like to send them one clean track without any eq/compression and one with eq/comp. I thought I could record and print it at the same time using two audio tracks.

One that gets input from my DI. That's where I put the plugins and a bus send. The other one gets the bus input and no plugins. The bus is post fader so the plugins are "printed" to the new track. Somehow, I get about 1150 samples of delay on the printed track. Am I missing something? I've read about some problems with the delay compensation but still not sure how to fix it

Here's a screenshot!

Anyone? Thanks!
Waves
Old 01-20-2015, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Delay compensation Problem when tracking

do you use the latest protools version and also the latest plugin versions aviable?
i had the same problem with an early pro tools 11 version and early aax plugins.

what happens if you route the output from "TRACK" to the bus 1 instead of using the send a?
Old 01-20-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiosus View Post
do you use the latest protools version and also the latest plugin versions aviable?
i had the same problem with an early pro tools 11 version and early aax plugins.

what happens if you route the output from "TRACK" to the bus 1 instead of using the send a?
Yes and yes :) Using PT11.3 and just bought the ssl bundle yesterday so I'm guessing thats up to date as well.

Tried your suggestion, same results actually. Even with all the plugins disabled I'm getting the same results..

EDIT: If I record on the TRACK channel and print it on the MIX channel, everything is spot on though..
Waves
Old 01-20-2015, 08:21 AM

You could also just record the original track(and keep the plugins if it sounds better during tracking), then either process the audio with the AudioSuite versions of the same plugins, and export that. Or, solo the track and do a quick off-line bounce to disk

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 AM

Well yes, there are obviously tons of workarounds but still.. It's weird that PT can't handle these two tracks without some delay.
Waves
Old 01-20-2015, 12:46 PM

Did you check the box in IO setup for "automatically compensate after record pass"(or something like that)? Not sure it will help, but, why not try it and see...

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-21-2015, 01:54 AM

I cant seem to find that option anywhere.. FYI, not using PT|HD but the "software" version without Avid hardware.
Waves
Old 01-21-2015, 02:39 AM

I'll admit that I'm actually new to the Delay Compensation world. I only recently upgraded from PT8. That being said, I'm honestly not surprised by this problem... If you think of it from the mathematical perspective.
Delay Compensation, I believe, is a playback feature. It calculates how much time it takes for a plugin to do its processing and so adjusts playback accordingly.
However, to record with and without plugins at the same time gives the computer no opportunity to create a "frame of reference" for how much delaying it needs to do.
Therefore, your effected track will automatically have the delay that PT WOULD HAVE compensated for during playback.
But since you recorded it at the same time, now the delay has been built into the file.

Unfortunately, I think a workaround is the only option.

Again, I'm not sure if my information is 100% accurate. But you got the result that I would expect.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:21 AM

Well it sounds logical if it were not for the fact that if I set the output to a bus (which technically takes the place of my speakers) I still have the same problem.. So the output comes later than it should basically.
Waves
Old 01-21-2015, 05:43 AM

There's definitely a miscommunication here... I'm not sure on which end though...
Your screenshot clearly shows that the audio was recorded late. At this point, there's nothing that delay compensation will do to fix it.
Delay compensation fixes tracks that are IN TIME with each other, but forced OUT OF TIME by plugin processing.
You have recorded two track that are out of time. So no matter what you do with bussing and signal routing now, it will always be out of time.
The easiest/fastest fix is just to slide the clips so that they start at the same time.
Sorry for the confusion