Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-25-2021, 07:11 AM

Default How long will PT 2021 be compatible with Mojave

I can buy a MacBook that runs on Mojave. I use the latest update version of ProTools. Is is wise to do so, or will the combination fail within 2 or 3 years? Meaning, should I wait for an offer with a Catalina system?
Old 08-25-2021, 07:50 AM

Default Re: How long will PT 2021 be compatible with Mojave

For the past years Protools has always been supported on the latest 3 Mac OS versions. Meaning Mojave support will be lost when the new OS is supported next year.
Sidenote however: there are still many Mac Pro's (5.1 version) in use which are unable to update past Mojave. There is a chance Avid might still support that OS for an additional time period. Also, "supported" just means "we have tested this and it works". "Not supported" does NOT automatically mean it doesn't work, it just simply isn't tested and will not be fixed when it doesn't work (which is quite frankly not much different from the supported combinations).

All that aside, I don't think buying a Macbook that is unable to update past Mojave is a good idea anyway.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:34 PM

Thanks Farhoof for your clear answer, I understand it's better to buy one that runs on Catalina
Old 08-25-2021, 04:08 PM

Hi, welcome to the community.

Not supported means in plain english "your mileage may vary". Many of us have been running DigiDesign 192 interfaces that were introduced 20 years ago and are "not supported" but work great. Just that if there is a need for a firmware update, Avid is not going to touch those boxes.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Hi, welcome to the community.

Not supported means in plain english "your mileage may vary". Many of us have been running DigiDesign 192 interfaces that were introduced 20 years ago and are "not supported" but work great. Just that if there is a need for a firmware update, Avid is not going to touch those boxes.

There’s a difference between „not supported“ and „not compatible“. While the first means it may work but Avid doesn‘t update the driver or firmware anymore the second means it doesn’t work at all, like HDX cards on M1 right now (August 2021).

Best

Mark
Old 08-28-2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robruce View Post
Whatever computer you buy to run PT, as long as it works for your needs, try to resist the urge to upgrade the OS or Pro Tools unless you absolutely must.
^^ this.

But it is hard to resist the vicious update cycle as Apple and every other cybertech wannabe security chief tells us we need to have latest OS otherwise the world comes to an end.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
For the past years Protools has always been supported on the latest 3 Mac OS versions. Meaning Mojave support will be lost when the new OS is supported next year.
Sidenote however: there are still many Mac Pro's (5.1 version) in use which are unable to update past Mojave. There is a chance Avid might still support that OS for an additional time period. Also, "supported" just means "we have tested this and it works". "Not supported" does NOT automatically mean it doesn't work, it just simply isn't tested and will not be fixed when it doesn't work (which is quite frankly not much different from the supported combinations).

All that aside, I don't think buying a Macbook that is unable to update past Mojave is a good idea anyway.
You can go past Mojave on a 5,1 but you need to run something like Open Core to do the deed. Or visit this site for a Catalina Patcher http://dosdude1.com/catalina/ And for a video on how to use the Patcher see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxFzZWqoCng

QAPLA!
Old 08-31-2021, 05:58 AM

To sum it up, there is no roadmap.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:57 AM

Thanks everybody for your most welcome reactions! They were very usefull to me and made me decide to buy a new Macmini with Big Sur. Hopefully it will take me through the upcoming next 10 years or so
Ciao, Sioe