Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2021, 04:04 PM

Default Recording Pro Tools tutorials

I’d like to record my PT session with audio and video. Plus have a live voiceover of me explaining things. I’m on PT Ultimate with an HDX card and HD I/o interface.

Is there software to do all this without bringing in another computer and interface to record audio?

These videos won’t need any extensive editing and speed of completion is a huge priority for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2021, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Recording Pro Tools tutorials

If you’re on a Mac, ScreenFlow is probably your best option.

http://www.telestream.net/screenflow/overview.htm

If you wanted to do it in the cheap, QuickTime has a recording feature that will capture what is happening on screen.

Your biggest issue will be capturing the audio from PT and your mic at the same time within the video capture app, more so because you’re using an HDX setup. If you have another interface you can use via Core Audio, it would probably be easier to route the audio out the HDX rig into that and use that for capture. Just needs to be a simple 2 channel interface.

There’s a few threads on the forum with tips on how others have done it. Do a search and you’ll find some more info.

Old 08-21-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
If you’re on a Mac, ScreenFlow is probably your best option.

http://www.telestream.net/screenflow/overview.htm

If you wanted to do it in the cheap, QuickTime has a recording feature that will capture what is happening on screen.

Your biggest issue will be capturing the audio from PT and your mic at the same time within the video capture app, more so because you’re using an HDX setup. If you have another interface you can use via Core Audio, it would probably be easier to route the audio out the HDX rig into that and use that for capture. Just needs to be a simple 2 channel interface.

There’s a few threads on the forum with tips on how others have done it. Do a search and you’ll find some more info.

Thanks for the info. Can you run core audio and the pt audio engine at the same time?

Old 08-21-2021, 06:17 PM

Default Recording Pro Tools tutorials

Of course. It’s no different to using the in built audio on the Mac.

So you’d physically patch a set of outs on your HDX rig to the inputs on the core audio interface and have that as the I/O device for ScreenFlow.

I assume you’re going to have your mic routed in PT, so you could just have a track with input monitoring on for that. All the audio in PT could be routed to a physical set of outs on your HDX interface that then is patched to the inputs of your core audio interface. SoundFlow picks that up and you’re good to go.

If you were on a native system, you could probably do it all with virtual routing in the box using something like Loopback or Soundflower, but HDX won’t appear in those apps, so your best bet is to do it in the analogue domain.

If you don’t have a spare interface, just pick up something like a Behringer/Focusrite/Steinberg etc. 2 channel interface. They’re pretty cheap and would be handy to have on hand for other things.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Of course. It’s no different to using the in built audio on the Mac.

So you’d physically patch a set of outs on your HDX rig to the inputs on the core audio interface and have that as the I/O device for ScreenFlow.

I assume you’re going to have your mic routed in PT, so you could just have a track with input monitoring on for that. All the audio in PT could be routed to a physical set of outs on your HDX interface that then is patched to the inputs of your core audio interface. SoundFlow picks that up and you’re good to go.

If you were on a native system, you could probably do it all with virtual routing in the box using something like Loopback or Soundflower, but HDX won’t appear in those apps, so your best bet is to do it in the analogue domain.

If you don’t have a spare interface, just pick up something like a Behringer/Focusrite/Steinberg etc. 2 channel interface. They’re pretty cheap and would be handy to have on hand for other things.

Thanks so much! You have given me an excellent game plan. I appreciate it greatly. :)