Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-22-2013, 07:44 PM

Default "cannot save "XXXXXX" because while translating I/O settings"

Has anybody seen this error before? I have been getting this message, whenever I try and close and save a session.
My set up is PT 10/11 HD native, using a OMNI I/O as my main interface, with a "blue face" 96 I/O as a slave unit, and clocked by a UA 4-710.
I came to the studio one morning, started up my rig, and opened PT 10 to work on a mix. I got the message "can not find your hardware", and PT closed. I noticed I had forgotten to turn on the OMNI I/O, so I turned it on. I have been having I/O error messages ever since. I even tried taking the OMNI out of the equation, and just using the 96 I/O with both PT 10 and 11 (HD), which seemed to work (at least I was able to get through a session). I re-set the OMNI, and everything seemed to work for a while, but as soon as I opened the I/O tab (in either 10 or 11), started getting messages similar to the one listed in the title of my post. I am convinced this is a corrupt code issue, so I am hoping someone can tell me where I can find the error log from PT 10?
I am running W7 pro on a intel i7 machine, w/ 32 gigs of RAM (and yes, it's matched)
I'm hoping to get some advice here before I go to AVID and pay for support (which should be free).
I hope no one says "post a sandra report", as this machine has been running PT without any problems,for quite a while, so I am positive it has nothing to do with my system hardware, so I don't see what the need to post a long report about my compacter hardware would do to help.Honestly, I have been on the forum for a while, and have gotten some good advice, but it seems like there are people who "troll" on here for the purpose of telling you to "post a sandra report", and admonish you for "not giving enough info".
I simply want to know if anyone has run in to this error message, on a windows 7 machine, and how they were able to solve it, or if someone can point me to the folder to find a error log, that I can forward to my friends who write code.
Thanks for any advice in advance!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:02 PM

Default Re: "cannot save "XXXXXX" because while translating I/O settings"

We don't use W7 but I think I may be able to help regardless. Have you started by trashing your HW preference files? File paths for error logs are listed on the Avid support page, I don't know the W7 path off the top of my head unfortunately
Old 10-22-2013, 08:32 PM

Yes, trashed all preferences, seems to solve the problem for a while. I am also scouring the W7 event logs, and have found some error messages there like this:
Log Name: Application
Source: SideBySide
Date: 10/22/2013 7:22:37 PM
Event ID: 33
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: tom-PC
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "c:\Program Files (x86)\Avid\Pro Tools\DAE\Controllers\D-Control_Resource804.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86 ",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",v ersion="8.0.50727.6195" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="SideBySide" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-10-23T02:22:37.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>174043</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>tom-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitectur e="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="wi n32",version="8.0.50727.6195"</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>c:\Program Files (x86)\Avid\Pro Tools\DAE\Controllers\D-Control_Resource804.dll</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Old 10-22-2013, 08:34 PM

Also,the HW preference folder would be located where? DAE folder? Don't see one labeled "HW"
Old 10-22-2013, 10:20 PM

after I ran this process, my problem seems to have been solved...but now, none of my RTAS (seems like AXX plugs are ok) load!
Awesome...

To delete Pro Tools 10 preference files in Windows 7:
Go to your Start menu and click on Computer.
Double-click on the C: drive.
Double-click on Program Files (x86).
Go to the Common Files folder.
Go to the Digidesign folder.
Go to the DAE folder.
Right-click on the DAE Prefs folder and delete it.
Go back to your C: drive.
Double-click on Users.
Double-click on your user name.
Go to the AppData folder.
NOTE: If the Appdata folder is not showing, click on Organize and choose 'Folder and Search Options.'
Click on the View tab.
Select 'Show Hidden Files and Folders'.
Click Apply and OK. AppData should now be viewable.
Open the Roaming folder.
Open the Avid folder (Digidesign folder with Pro Tools 8 and 9)
Open the Pro Tools 10 folder (skip this step if the folder does not exist).
Select all files in this folder and delete them.
Restart the computer.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 PM

Are your RTAS plugins still in your RTAS folder? The instructions you have listed below, were these directly from the Avid support page?
Old 10-24-2013, 02:06 PM

Yes, instructions came from Avid's site:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...kbase&filter=0

I eneded up having to re-install plug ins by d/ling from the manufactuerers page (s).
Old 10-24-2013, 02:10 PM

BTW, still getting random messages about not being able to save sessions. I have re-installed several times. Seems to be fairly stable now...have never had this many issues with PT, any version.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:02 PM

I think there's a bug in place here...on my PT10 rig, I had to defeat auto-save. If it did an auto save while it was rendering an audio-suite plugin, or writing a fade file, or doing an alt-shift-3 to consolidate, it would give a "Can't save while translating tracks" error, and every time I tried to do ANY kind of a save (ctrl-s) after that, it would give the same error, and eventually crash the session and give access violations and assertion errors. The workaround is to not ctrl-S unless I was ABSOLUTELY sure it wasn't doing anything else, and of course, disabling session file backups. I'd like to see this worked out. 11.0.2 has the same issue.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:19 PM

SW REC

This happens from time to time here aswell and we just turned
OFF the Auto-Save function and it went away .. Now the challenge
will be to remember to Save every now and then

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————