Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2008, 10:35 AM

Default Recording with Avalon 737...comprission or no compression?

Hello, I've noticed some of you have said that you prefer not to record using pre-amps with compression.

I am just curious on different peoples thoughts on this.

Also, if any of you are using the 737. What are some good settings for vocals that you've found. I know it varies from singers to hip hop vocalists but just curious on you fellas expertise?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Recording with Avalon 737...comprission or no compression?

Honest dude thatz like sayin ur gonna use the same snare on every beat... not something u would do rite?... U just have to play with it & find what works... As far as the compression, same deal-"ALTHOUGH", the Avalon compressor is the weakest link of that unit... I've only started to use mine for vocals because i switched out the stock tubes & now it really sounds good... Otherwise I would only use it on Bass...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-18-2008, 05:44 PM

hi what tubes did u use to replace the stock tubes in the avalon 737 please let me know [email protected]
Old 11-19-2008, 06:40 AM

hi thatnks for response but hot did you do it excactly what type vof tubes i have aceess vto tubes so just wondering the type of tube and model does it have to be 6922
Old 11-19-2008, 06:41 AM

does it have to be 6922 tube if not what make and model u put in and what tube specs does it have to be never did this before
Old 11-19-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Honest dude thatz like sayin ur gonna use the same snare on every beat... not something u would do rite?... U just have to play with it & find what works... As far as the compression, same deal-"ALTHOUGH", the Avalon compressor is the weakest link of that unit... I've only started to use mine for vocals because i switched out the stock tubes & now it really sounds good... Otherwise I would only use it on Bass...
Trust me...I know this is true.

I was just curious of peoples thoughts and views on using pre's with compression vs pre's without onboard compression.

And also just asking if anyone had any nice or crazy setings that they've found usefull.

Also, which tubes did you put in your 737?
Old 11-19-2008, 10:01 AM

2 Things, first - I have found that my Avalon must warm up for a good 30 minutes to even begin to sound good otherwise it has terrible noise when trying to deliver large gain. That being said, if your unit is not warm and you are trying to make the compressor kick, it won't... and it will of course feel lame and unresponsive... and simply like you have to dip the threshold down waaay to far to get any type of sound.

That being said the best advice I can give for this box is to turn it on well in advance of your session and let it warm up. Honestly I do so about an hour usually.

Now the compressor is not the strongest compressor out there, like say a nice SSL rack piece, but it is more designed for vocals and maybe bass guitar which is a compressor that is more smooth and not neccesarily and really punchy one. My advice here again, is make sure your unit is warmed up fully so that the tube is truely amplifying properly, and then realize that on inbound comrpession, the goal is to subtley change your loudest parts, not to compress the hell out of your source material.

The reason you only want to lightly compress is so that you can get a better and more even signal, which will help you maximize resolution. By that I mean you don't have the occasional plosive digitally clipping, yet if you don't turn it up enough you don't begin to get a loud enough signal to get a good recording.

All that being said, less is more when it comes to inbound compression, and for that I will say the for an "All-in-one" rack piece, this unit is pretty top notch. If you don't like the compressor go out and buy a Distressor for a few thousand bucks.

On EQ, the 737 has a MUCH better eq then the Stereo version. The controls being the main part of that. I would again go easy on the in bound eq, but as said earlier in the thread, it really depends on your vocalist what you want to cut / boost. I would recommend reading the section in the manual on using the EQ and Comp as a De-Esser, this comes in very handy just about always.

One last thing to consider and this is just an opinion, but if you listen to all of the HUGE budget recordings, you usually will vibe a brilliance and airyness on vocals. This of course is difficult to achieve, but I would recommend experimenting to acheive this, as it will much easier to get with analog circutry and a tube than it will be to attempt in Pro Tools once the signal is printed. My other recommendation is to boost a bit of 2k & or 4k (carefull) for clarity and presence of vocals, really this makes it easier to tell what the words are, but be warned too much 2k is the ear piercing frequency. This again will be better found with analog gear than in PT once printed as it will sound sweeter. Just go easy.

----

I am also VERY interested in your Tube MOD, please share what you did, who did it, and if possible some audio examples of before and after.

D
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 11-19-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
This of course is difficult to achieve, but I would recommend experimenting to acheive this, as it will much easier to get with analog circutry and a tube than it will be to attempt in Pro Tools once the signal is printed. My other recommendation is to boost a bit of 2k & or 4k (carefull) for clarity and presence of vocals, really this makes it easier to tell what the words are, but be warned too much 2k is the ear piercing frequency. This again will be better found with analog gear than in PT once printed as it will sound sweeter. Just go easy.
EXCILLENT! This and the rest of your post was great! Exactly what I wanted in this thread. I am well aware of the warming up issue with this box. I've had good luck with simular settings to the manuals De-sss settings.

Is it possible to boost the 2k &/or 4k EQ range while still maintaining my successfull De-sss settings? I usually do boost the 2-4k range but do it in PT with a plug-in after printing signal. My understanding of the De-sss setting is that you are basically boosting the (roughly) 7k range (this is where I've had luck) and side-chaining that frequency range to the compressor to get the Gain Reduction to minamize the SSS's in that frequency range. How would I, or is it even possible to do both with just the 737? Or do you do this with the addition of a harware EQ?

I appologize for my ignorance. I am new to the 737. I have been getting very good results with it, but again, just looking for recomendations and tips of success that you experienced fella's are having with this box.

Thanx again DrFord for your very helpfull post. Anymore thoughts are much appreciated.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj A-Ron View Post
Trust me...I know this is true.

I was just curious of peoples thoughts and views on using pre's with compression vs pre's without onboard compression.

And also just asking if anyone had any nice or crazy setings that they've found usefull.

Also, which tubes did you put in your 737?
I put some "British Mullard" tubes in it...65-69...& yes they are 6922/6DJ8/ECC88...WHAT A DIFFERENCE...(TO ME ANYWAY)

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-20-2008, 07:38 AM

Post Pictures! I am very interested in your mod. I would love to get your gear spec'd out to see how your mod changed headroom / noise and eq response.

The thing about the De-Ess function is that it does exactly what you said, uses the EQ to isolate the "S" sound and then compresses it. You would not be able to use the EQ for EQing if you are de-essing. However, you can De-Ess with plug ins just as affectively so you may be better off with using the eq for eq.

Either way I love this piece of gear. I also love my Focusrite ISA. Very different but equally cool.
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1