Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-02-2008, 11:33 AM

Default Euphonix MC Control surface

Anybody try this puppy out? Any thoughts? I hear its Pro Tools integration with HUI may hobble it a touch. That touch screen looks pretty bad assed...
Old 07-03-2008, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Euphonix MC Control surface

I am running a MC Control and MC Mix with our HD3 system. Overall happy with it, jog wheel could be nicer, but it is serving its purpose. For us it is a 'needed something immediately' setup. We are selling our Neve Libra desk in favor of something to have tighter control of Pro Tools and even possibly Logic, and are looking at 4 possible replacements for the Libra, an Icon, a Euphonix System 5-MC, a Neve DMC, or maybe even this new Tango System from Smart AV. This thing looks pretty cool for $7500 (www.smartav.net). We're editing almost 900 finished pages of dialog (large box set audio book of the New Testament), and needed some kind of easy interface to augment keyboard/mouse while we are selling the Neve and deciding on the major replacement.

The ability to customize your keys and buttons on the touchscreen of the MC Control is pretty hip for editing, and the fact that it works with ANY application and switches keysets & fader settings instantly is hip. It works in HUI mode for Pro Tools, Mackie mode for Final Cut, and full EuCon protocol for Logic, Nuendo, etc, which gives you greater resolution than HUI in those apps. You can also control an app on another computer. Also cool is the fact that you can see 32 channels at a glance on the touch screen and quickly bank between them, then tap and pull up the faders you need. Makes 4 faders easy to work with (although we do have the extra Mix faders) There are entire threads with lots of feedback on www.gearslutz.com about the unit.

BTW, if anybody is interested in a 48 fader Neve Libra, you can contact me below...
Old 07-04-2008, 08:37 PM

Hey Sean,

Have you put in any time on a Command*8 ?? If you have, I'm curious how you'd compare/contrast these 2?
Not thrilled about HUI protocol, but the other features of the MC may outweigh that drawback...

Thanks in advance for any insight...

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 07-04-2008, 11:47 PM

Does it have a surround panner? Virtual joystick on the touch-screen? The website doesn´t really contain a lot of info.

thanks,

frank.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:54 AM

I purchased a Euphonix MC Mix. I gave it the old college try and commend customer support from Euphonix for all the effort they spent trying to get it working for me. Ultimately, I ended up returning the Euphonix because there were too many bugs and crashes. Every time I started a session in the back of my mind I was always concerned about when the crash was going to come. I am running a G5 Quad with PCIexpress. I have heard plenty of positive reports so some folks are enjoying success. I really wanted Euphonix to work for me. I am still thinking about a Icon.

Quote:
Anybody try this puppy out? Any thoughts? I hear its Pro Tools integration with HUI may hobble it a touch. That touch screen looks pretty bad assed...
Old 07-05-2008, 08:24 AM

I have not tried the Command 8. Only Digi panels I've owned are the Pro Control. There is a surround section on the MC Control, but our current job is not surround, so I haven't had time to play. I haven't really had any crashes, maybe it's Intel vs. G5, dunno. Also on beta program, so I'm seeing rapid progress. Let's be clear, it's NOT a replacement for any of the boards I mentioned above, like ICON, System 5-MC, etc. The guy who bought a MC Mix and returned it and now thinking about an ICON should realize these are two different leagues of systems. As I said, we got the MC Control/Mix it 'in the meantime' until we sold our Neve and bought one of the other desks. Although we'll definitely keep it for use in other rooms and with other software.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:09 PM

Isn’t funny that other companies like Euphonix, Tango…come out with very innovative control surfaces at the fraction of the cost than the bloated Digidesign company? Time is getting shorter!
Old 07-06-2008, 05:18 PM

Like I said, I don't feel the MC Control/Mix is a replacement for an Icon or System 5-MC, so the lower cost comparison does not really apply. In fact, a comparably equipped (same # of faders) Euphonix System 5-MC is in the same price range as an ICON (we are looking at 32-48 faders). But using it with our current setup (Neve Libra, Pro Tools HD3), its a huge improvement in functionality and convenience.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I have not tried the Command 8. Only Digi panels I've owned are the Pro Control.
Thanks man!

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 07-31-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Isn’t funny that other companies like Euphonix, Tango…come out with very innovative control surfaces at the fraction of the cost than the bloated Digidesign company?
I don't know...the MC Control is a bit more than the Command 8, and the MC Mix is a little bit less...I suppose, technically, either could constitute a "fraction"...