Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2001, 09:16 AM

Default Simple question about Sample Cell Soft

I've never worked with a software sampler before, but I'm thinking of buying Sample Cell. I have a simple question:

As I understand it, when you play your keyboard controller you hear the sample actually coming out of your 001 interface box. Is this correct, or is it much more complicated than that?

Also, I'm wondering how you folks who have Sample Cell like it and if you've found it relatively easy to use.

Thanks in advance for the responses! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2001, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Simple question about Sample Cell Soft

You have the option of auditioning the sound out of your Macs outputs, or DirectConnect through PTLE...it's an option in the settings dialog. I myself decided to go with a SampleCell II PCI card so I wouldn't put any more strain on my processor. It's only 32MB, where in SCC you're only limited by your Macs RAM, but that can go a long way if you use it properly. I was skeptical about paying $300+ for Soft SampleCell which would only take up more processor which meant less plugs. I think, again, that Digi planned that for the TDM people since their processors sit idle while the Mix cards do all the work. Works out great for them. Just my opinion.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:14 AM

I will second the vote for a Samplecell PCI card, you can find one for about the same price as SoftSamplecell and it will work more reliably, and with 0 cpu strain and less latency.
Old 08-29-2001, 07:58 PM

No, go with SSC. The latency can be fixed with "midi offset". Use all the ram you need, not a puny 32. And, SSC is very easy on the CPU. Go for it. Softsamplers are the future. Soft Samplecell, one of the best purchases i've ever made.

haze