Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Banned

Default Re: Digidesign Transformation

Tony Cariddi of AVID posted a response to this open letter here:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...=270799&page=3
Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 AM

I'll give you my two cents on what's happening here.

Ever since 1995, the name "Digidesign" has been an embarrassment to the parent company, AVID. Let me explain.

Here's a mere division of AVID, doing phenomenally well year in year out. Ever expanding customer-base, fantastic products and self-running. A division that's probably nothing more than a child with a 17-18% share of mom's cake.

Then there you have the parent, constantly losing market share to a realistically priced and fantastic product called Final Cut Pro, made by a very clever company called Apple. When it first came out, the parent didn't bother much. But those guys kept chipping away and over the last few years started causing some serious kick a*s damage.

Year on year, the parent had to explain to its shareholders why they were not growing as promised. And year on year, the shareholders would keep saying, "But why is the child Digidesign doing so well? Why?"

Now that put the parent in a fix. Having this child Digidesign separate, wasn't such a great idea after all.

Solution? Well, they needed to get rid of this separation. It needed to be gobbled up. No distinction, no borders - No Digidesign. Everything looks good now on paper. Now there's only AVID - the parent.

Fantastic move, which frankly I'm quite surprised they didn't do years earlier. Conquer and erase. Typical military strategy. No more line, no more division. It's all good now.

Better user web experience? Yeah rite ...
Old 04-05-2010, 11:34 AM

I didn't read all 5 million posts in this thread... but I read the release....

And what I wanna know is....

What new hardware is available for 2010 ????

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 04-05-2010, 11:56 AM

Haedware is great sure. But give me back my 2626 and ill be happy
Old 04-05-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Really? Almost every reply to this "Digidesign is AVID" campaign has been negative on forums, blogs, etc. I haven't really seen one post where someone said "Yeah, this is EXACTLY what we want right now" Most people seem to be seeing this as more of a Seinfeld episode... A show about nothing.
I don't see it being about nothing at all. It's rather an admission by AVID of one of their brand's lack of positive value and that brand's inability to produce positive customer sentiment. Remember when Datsuns became Nissans?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:42 PM

Well hope that all AVID Hardware would work at all protools stuff
when they make it all fall under the AVID name....and just hope
that they remove the HD LE M-Powered crap when they make that move.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCuckoo View Post

Then there you have the parent, constantly losing market share to a realistically priced and fantastic product called Final Cut Pro, made by a very clever company called Apple. When it first came out, the parent didn't bother much. But those guys kept chipping away and over the last few years started causing some serious kick a*s damage.

Fantastic move, which frankly I'm quite surprised they didn't do years earlier. Conquer and erase. Typical military strategy. No more line, no more division. It's all good now.
I must be missing something. I see TDM going the way of the ADAT and the Jaz drive. Without fantastically priced TDM hardware, what do they have? How does a 003 really stack up sonically to a Fireface 800, an Ensemble, the MR816 or the TCElectronic box?

Fantastic move? Yeah, that was the perfect sandbag to cut loose from the sinking balloon. Bravo!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:05 PM

Hmm , thanks for reaching out to your customers . It is appreciated .

The name Digidesign is pretty cool . Your AVID logo is growing on me though. I'm most interested in a stable DAW and hardware.

1) If your not going to address ADC maybe include a simpler/quicker way for us to do so like including mellowmuse auto time adjuster like UAD has done with their UAD 2 cards or developing or having AIR build one . I see this doing 2 things that are beneficial - Make mixing easier for us and we become happier , we decide we can live with this for now and stop nagging you about ADC .

2) Either supporting the AIR USERs BLOG or having your own blog for PT as Russ seems to have AIR on lock down . I've learned much from Russ and his FREE content - excellent, friendly , direct tutorials - a spirited bolstering of the PT community (PT people feel warm and fuzzy about Russ , so far they have been confused and worried about AVID and veiw you as some sort of corporate colossus ) Bring a sense of COMMUNITY to us and we will give you space to do what you need to do - Russ also has contest giveaways (not saying you need to give us free things , tutorials and community are most important) - free patches for Structure - and Russ returns All emails . incredible fellow.

I learned more about AIR VI's and plugins then i ever could have trying to find my way around your current website. I know you put together PDF content to read but for all of us who have the attention span of a gnat and who have grown up in a generation where internet video content is are go source for instruction , something like AIR USERS BLOG is invaluable . It lead me to buy Velvet and now I'm wanting the expansion pack as well for a full version of Structure and Transfuser.

The DUC is faceless . Your Tech Support are helpful but DUC can be a rather clinical experience . Don't be afraid to brighten up the corners.

Help us understand and use your products to their fullest and we will be AVID men and women just like my grandfather and his generation were Ford and Chevrolet men and women . Otherwise many of us see Logic as the next step up.

--- You say the new website will be easier to navigate . I am one of those people that find the current one daunting . Thanks for changing this . I look forward to seeing it on April 12th .

Thanks for your ear ,

cheers ,

Deej

2009 Mac Pro - PT 8.03 - Profire 610
Old 04-05-2010, 01:12 PM

I think this is a great idea and a good move by Digidesign. Like they said in the open letter. With all their companies and subsidiaries. It makes sense to put them all together. We'll all reap the benefits from this move as they'll most likely return the cost savings into better products for all of us. You have to stay cutting edge or risk getting swallowed up by competitors. Huge thumbs up from me.......
Old 04-05-2010, 01:19 PM

Dibs on the name "Digideisgn"!!