Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 03-24-2005, 09:32 AM

Default cant open .wav on mac os HD system.....

Hi,
I am a newbie here. I was given a session from Digi002/windows os, on DVD. I am trying to open on mac osX on an HD system. the files were all saved with forced mac/pc compatability. I can see all the files, but it isnt recognizing the audio files. It says the files are unreadable on protools. I am curious how to get around this. Should I have the files saved before going to DVD as .pts? they are all .wav files right now. I tried saving a .wav file to the desktop, then renaming .pts, then importing to a new track to no avail. what am I doing wrong?
thanks, Antony
Old 03-24-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: cant open .wav on mac os HD system.....

I'm not expert at this, and you may do better posting on the TDM Mac forum, but I have one idea. It may be that Ptools won't work from that media. Try copying the whole thing from the DVD onto your audio hard drive.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:13 PM

thanks Steve, I posted another message on the mac board. I also did try saving the files on another hard drive, but that didnt work either. der, I dunno.?.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:12 AM

"... I tried saving a .wav file to the desktop, then renaming .pts, then importing to a new track to no avail...."

I missed this before, and maybe this info will help. The audio files should be .wav files (or aif). The ONLY file that is a .pts is the Pro Tools Session file, which is the protools data. So you still might take the wav files you copied from the dvd to the hard drive and (1) try playing them with something simple (Mac os must have a player: on XP, this would be Windows Media player, Winamp, etc) to see if they're ok, and if they are, (2) then bringing them into a new Protools session.

But you should not be having problems with this (unless the person who burned the dvd did something wrong). If this is very new to you, you might want to read some of the manual (look at parts of the File Management/Compatibility and Sessions chapters to start). Be aware that if importing to a new seesion, Protools will only deal with one bit rate/depth, so create a session to import to that is the correct setting (otherwise the session will create new files converted to the session setting, which takes a lot of time and disc space).