Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-21-2017, 06:11 AM

Default AAF vs EdiLoad and conforming from rushes

I'm thinking about getting EdiLoad to start doing dialogue builds from EDLs rather than trying to get working AAFs with all the production sound metadata still intact.

I would say that on 90% of jobs I have issues with AAF turnovers and often quite a bit of back and forth to get what I need from picture departments and I still don't always get AAFs that have all the scene / take / channel name metadata intact in the production sound.

So my questions are:

Is getting an EDL which works in EdiLoad easy?

Do you have to be very specific with what you request or will any EDL that contains all location audio tracks work? (I know about the 4 track limit in EDLs so am anticipating having to ask for more than one EDL.)

Does it still work when dealing with production sound that has had some or all of its metadata damaged or stripped? E.G. when projects come through Premiere.

I also really like the look of the scene change and picture cut tracks features in EdiLoad, would love to get that task automated, especially for feature work. Would be good to know if that's a reliable feature and if it requires any specific requests when asking for EDLs.

Thanks for your help!

michaelfbates.com

imdb.com/name/nm4876413
Old 02-21-2017, 02:41 PM

Default Re: AAF vs EdiLoad and conforming from rushes

Too many picture editors these days have ever done a 3 machine online and do not speak EDL. But don't let that stop you trying.
When you find co-operative assistants it can be a joy.
I would never mix a drama without scene change tracks, even if I have to do it manually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 02-22-2017, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
Too many picture editors these days have ever done a 3 machine online and do not speak EDL. But don't let that stop you trying.
When you find co-operative assistants it can be a joy.
Yes, I can well imagine! Do you find yourself using EDLs and EdiLoad or are you getting decent AAFs and working from them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
I would never mix a drama without scene change tracks, even if I have to do it manually.
Yep, I already do scene change tracks manually, just interested to hear if EdiLoad actually manages to automate it reliably.

michaelfbates.com

imdb.com/name/nm4876413
Old 02-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Sounds In Sync

Hi Michael,

Thanks for checking out EdiLoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfbates View Post
Is getting an EDL which works in EdiLoad easy?
It should be, but this depends on your editor or assistant editor

Quote:
Do you have to be very specific with what you request or will any EDL that contains all location audio tracks work?
It's best to give them the EDL spec shown in the EdiLoad user guide. At the very least you need them to export an EDL that contains the correct rollname (links to the WAV file Sound Roll metadata), de-select the creation of B-Rolls (usually defaults to on), and possibly export the WAV filenames in the comments if the roll names aren't valid or your WAVs don't contain metadata.

Quote:
I know about the 4 track limit in EDLs so am anticipating having to ask for more than one EDL.
This limitation only applies to certain EDL formats like CMX3600. File32 can contain more than 24 tracks.

Quote:
Does it still work when dealing with production sound that has had some or all of its metadata damaged or stripped? E.G. when projects come through Premiere.
If the WAVs don't contain metadata (or specifically a Sound Rollname) then you rely on the picture edit system to be able to export the WAV file names in an EDL. I've seen EDLs from Premiere where they contain valid Roll Names that link to the Sound Roll metadata contained in the WAVs.

For more information on conforms (assembling WAV files) with EdiLoad and Pro Tools, see the videos in the following two blog posts:

Conforming (assembling) Location WAV Files with EdiLoad and Pro Tools

Customising an Edit List to Conform location WAV files using EdiLoad

Quote:
I also really like the look of the scene change and picture cut tracks features in EdiLoad, would love to get that task automated, especially for feature work. Would be good to know if that's a reliable feature and if it requires any specific requests when asking for EDLs.
This requires a picture EDL (EDL containing the picture edits). Picture cut tracks can be generated by EdiLoad with any EDL that EdiLoad can import. All it's doing is converting the "Master" TC locations in the EDL into a PT session (or you can generate Markers in a MIDI file). Scene Change tracks require that the footage in the edit system has been logged with some kind of scene/slate information and can be exported in the clip name field of an EDL (this is generally why happens on a TV/Film drama production). You then setup EdiLoad to extract just the scene number from this clip name to recognise which shots (events in the EDL) relate to which scene, allowing you to create an event for each scene. You can then export a PT track or MIDI file containing markers for each scene change point.

Feel free to download EdiLoad and try it out for yourself. Simply click the 'Try' button when you first run it.

Regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com
Old 02-28-2017, 12:28 AM

I'm a big fan of EdiLoad. Getting useable EDL's has usually been no problem. Sometimes I have to clean up and/or transfer roll names between columns, but EdiLoad is pretty intuitive in that regard.

I've only run into one major situation where the I had metadata issues on the EDL and it was because an Adobe editor was using merged clips in their workflow, which was nesting the audio clips in what the EDL read as video clips. It took some convincing on my part, but I got the editor to rebuild his audio on the timeline which enabled the EDL export to include the metadata I needed.

One thing I like to do with the scene change track is add in scene descriptions and use the track for my EdiCue ADR exports. I'll copy/paste the descriptions from a continuity list if one exists or make a simplified version from opening the script in the session interface in EdiCue and send the scene list info to the clips in Pro Tools.

-Justin
Old 03-01-2017, 01:05 AM

Mark, that's amazing, thank you so much for this reply! It's so helpful, I'm planning to test EdiLoad on my next show, really looking forward to using it.

michaelfbates.com

imdb.com/name/nm4876413
Old 03-01-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWalkerPostAudio View Post
I've only run into one major situation where the I had metadata issues on the EDL and it was because an Adobe editor was using merged clips in their workflow, which was nesting the audio clips in what the EDL read as video clips. It took some convincing on my part, but I got the editor to rebuild his audio on the timeline which enabled the EDL export to include the metadata I needed.

One thing I like to do with the scene change track is add in scene descriptions and use the track for my EdiCue ADR exports. I'll copy/paste the descriptions from a continuity list if one exists or make a simplified version from opening the script in the session interface in EdiCue and send the scene list info to the clips in Pro Tools.

-Justin
Thanks Justin, this is really useful detail to know before I start asking for EDLs. Thank you!

michaelfbates.com

imdb.com/name/nm4876413