Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2010, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Christmas came early today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
12 core 2.66 gHz with 8 gb ram and 6 tb internal drive space :) I've got it hooked up to 2 23" Dell monitors, so technically that's 41.65" screen. One upped me again lol. I'm still installing stuff.
Very nice! This 8 core is pretty snappy so your 12 must shred! I have a Dell 20" I hooked it up to today but I need some new monitors very soon. Are the 23" a good size? Do you wish you had bigger/smaller?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka21stCentury View Post
On a practical note how bad is the fan noise? Can you shut off each of the PCIe fans or do you just have to detach each connector?
I have had 0 complaints about fan noise. I had it in my room last night for over 3 hours turned on running/installing programs. My room stays hot from my tv, xbox, and mostly my MacBook pro

The fans never reved up or anything the entire time. After I was dOne I got inside to double check everything and install my 4th and final HD and the computer was cool. I touched around and even the ram was cool to touch. My old G5 was a fireplace. I'm very happy with the Mac Pro.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
Congrats! BTW - it's sickening!
Haha thanks! What I had to do to get this thing was sickening!
Old 11-28-2010, 11:42 AM

Had that G-5 agree. I suggested to Apple they put that darn internal speaker to good use and phase cancel the fan whine.

They ignore me as usual.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka21stCentury View Post
Had that G-5 agree. I suggested to Apple they put that darn internal speaker to good use and phase cancel the fan whine.

They ignore me as usual.
Haha that would be pretty cool! I mean the one I have it has so many fans. It even has fans in the heat sink for the CPU. I think they were thinking more fans= less RPMs. Which is true. Mine have yet to kick up at all. The G5 sounded like a blender.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:05 AM

Too bad it's still a Mac..

:)
Presonus StudioLive 16 Channel Mixer
Digimax D8 8-Channel Preamp
Command 8
Vocal and Instrument Recording/Live PTHD Mixing
Old 11-29-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX View Post
Too bad it's still a Mac..

:)
Hey now! Haha I'm a little bit of a fanboy but I started on PC's. Used them for 8 years. I agree mac's seem to cost quite a bit but my MacBook pro from 2008 has lasted longer then any of my pc desktops or pc laptops I or my family have had. If macs were cheaper I would have 6!
Old 11-29-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisHeinold View Post
Hey now! Haha I'm a little bit of a fanboy but I started on PC's. Used them for 8 years. I agree mac's seem to cost quite a bit but my MacBook pro from 2008 has lasted longer then any of my pc desktops or pc laptops I or my family have had. If macs were cheaper I would have 6!
Haha.. I know.. I was just prodding.. if I had the money.. and the will to.. I would buy the fastest Mac out there..

I actually suggest people buy into Mac when looking to run ProTools or any other DAW.. just tends to be more stable most of the time.

My rig was dirt cheap, and gives me relative performance for the price I paid.. it gets the job done, and is extremely mobile the way I have it mounted inside a Gator 4U rack case.
Presonus StudioLive 16 Channel Mixer
Digimax D8 8-Channel Preamp
Command 8
Vocal and Instrument Recording/Live PTHD Mixing
Old 11-29-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX View Post
Haha.. I know.. I was just prodding.. if I had the money.. and the will to.. I would buy the fastest Mac out there..

I actually suggest people buy into Mac when looking to run ProTools or any other DAW.. just tends to be more stable most of the time.

My rig was dirt cheap, and gives me relative performance for the price I paid.. it gets the job done, and is extremely mobile the way I have it mounted inside a Gator 4U rack case.
Yeah before I got the Mac pro I was running an XP machine with pro tools. I may stop buying Mac when this new operation system comes out
Old 11-29-2010, 03:29 PM

i guess you better clear you schedule...

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue