Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2010, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Digidesign Transformation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
ProTools is Reaper. :P
The way Shan's been customizing it, that is practically true already.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:36 AM

So funny. Really. If there was anything positive (and valuable) about the brand image of "Digidesign", it wouldn't have been unceremoniously tossed in the trash.

Digidesign? Say, Isn't that the company that charges four grand for a PCI card? Doesn't it brag how their run-of-the-mill software is the "industry standard" and imply that no one can make a decent record without it? Perhaps their luck with such well-heeled spendthrifts is waning. There's a sucker born only every 2.45 minutes nowadays.

"AVID" has managed to avoid this bad press. How? I dunno; I don't do pro video. I have noticed that there is a certain positive generic identity with "AVID" that there never was with "Digidesign".
Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garageband View Post
So funny. Really. If there was anything positive (and valuable) about the brand image of "Digidesign", it wouldn't have been unceremoniously tossed in the trash.

Digidesign? Say, Isn't that the company that charges four grand for a PCI card? Doesn't it brag how their run-of-the-mill software is the "industry standard" and imply that no one can make a decent record without it? Perhaps their luck with such well-heeled spendthrifts is waning. There's a sucker born only every 2.45 minutes nowadays.

"AVID" has managed to avoid this bad press. How? I dunno; I don't do pro video. I have noticed that there is a certain positive generic identity with "AVID" that there never was with "Digidesign".
Yup, But like the magician that literally blows himself up at the end of the act, you can only do it once. If the angle was to deal with bad press on Digi by eliminating the brand name, and you don't actually change the product (not just new logos pasted on), the entire Avid company suffers the consequences. But maybe they have thought of this, and have been feverishly working behind the scenes on Avid Tools 1.0.

And it will be 65 bit. "Well it's one better, isn't it?"
Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 AM

Thumbs down Re: Digidesign Transformation

Well it sounds like the end of Pro Tools LE.... I have used Avid's video products for years and have not been happy with the support or the product, they just don't listen to the users (Sound like Pro Tools LE support).

The current Pro Tools LE product does not work (DAE) and is missing key functions that we have been waiting for for years. I will be moving on to another DAW and will be selling my two systems on ebay in the near future.

Pro tools support is the pits and I have never gotten a reply back from support, so teaming up with Avid it can only get worse. If it wasn't for the DUC there would be no support. So thanks to everyone here for trying to keep Pro Tools LE alive.

Going forward I believe that Avid will only focus on the HD product and they will make a expensive toy out of Pro Tools LE and call it something else (M-Supper Pooper Looper, M-Hip-Hop Hopper , M-Song Maker Faker, etc !) I'm sure they will come up with a clever name. They are great at marketing just not there with development.

Take care everyone.... Thanks for all you help in the pass.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garageband View Post

"AVID" has managed to avoid this bad press.
Really? Almost every reply to this "Digidesign is AVID" campaign has been negative on forums, blogs, etc. I haven't really seen one post where someone said "Yeah, this is EXACTLY what we want right now" Most people seem to be seeing this as more of a Seinfeld episode... A show about nothing.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:54 AM

Can we please keep the duck logo?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:14 AM

I appreciate the fact you are informing us...
As an PTHD owner I would like to know more about my investment in quality and power. Will still be supported with the same or better?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6.0 - Monterey
MacBook M1Pro 10-16GB
Dangerous Music Summing - Focusrite Dante Rednet2 - Amek/Neve, Focusrite, TC Electronics, Mytek DA, Apogee ADDA
Old 04-04-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparks100 View Post
Well it sounds like the end of Pro Tools LE.... I have used Avid's video products for years and have not been happy with the support or the product, they just don't listen to the users (Sound like Pro Tools LE support).

The current Pro Tools LE product does not work (DAE) and is missing key functions that we have been waiting for for years. I will be moving on to another DAW and will be selling my two systems on ebay in the near future.

Pro tools support is the pits and I have never gotten a reply back from support, so teaming up with Avid it can only get worse. If it wasn't for the DUC there would be no support. So thanks to everyone here for trying to keep Pro Tools LE alive.

Going forward I believe that Avid will only focus on the HD product and they will make a expensive toy out of Pro Tools LE and call it something else (M-Supper Pooper Looper, M-Hip-Hop Hopper , M-Song Maker Faker, etc !) I'm sure they will come up with a clever name. They are great at marketing just not there with development.

Take care everyone.... Thanks for all you help in the pass.
Well, it is really sad that you have so many negative things about the support and the product, but I beg to differ in many ways.
Pro tools le is quite a well working thing, actually besides hd, multiple le systems working here 24/7, almost flawless.
I changed from other daw many-many years ago, and I really feel that digi/avid is the only company who gave me real support.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:16 PM

Looking at other business models, everything is under one roof, notably Apple, which makes audio and video software and hardware, as does Avid. So I am glad to see everything under the Avid name. Notice how Apple discards the previous company's name, e.g., Macromedia was dropped from Final Cut Pro as was Emagic from Logic Pro.

I already refer to Pro Tools as Avid Pro Tools because it's easier to say and probably no potential employer or contract gig will scan for Digidesign, but will for Avid and Pro Tools, especially as audio and video is becoming more integrated. I do a lot of sound-for-video with Digitranslator. Again, AvidTranslator is a more sensible name.

I think the M-Audio name is kind of a snafu for Avid. There are so many products which people have been buying since it was Midiman, but the name doesn't make sense, especially hyphenated names are a hassle to verbalize web URLs.

It seems M-Powered is a headache. PTMP requires a dongle/interface, whereas LE requires only the interface. LE has a notable advantage because of the Toolkit discrepancy, and now there's PT Essentials....argh, so confusing, what works with what? I think the whole M-Audio aspect of Avid needs a complete overhaul, and I suggest deleting the M-Audio name... make PTMP part of PTLE, especially more M-Audio interfaces have six or more audio outputs but you can't use the Toolkit for surround sound. See what I mean about confusion. I also think M-Audio has too much of a consumer identification instead of a professional connotation.

Hence, integrate Pro Tools and Sibelius under Avid, and delete both the Pinnacle name (e.g., Avid Studio HD instead of Avid Pinnacle Studio HD) and M-Audio (e.g., Avid Axiom 25 instead of Avid M-Audio Axiom 25). So there'd be a mother company (Avid) and two brands (Pro Tools, Sibelius).

Just my 2cents.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:32 PM

The proof is in the product. You have 15 minutes between crashes..... most songs are about 3 minutes long, your right you can record about 5 takes before something goes wrong. If you bounce your VI's and turn off all your effects while you record it works great.

I have tested two other DAWs and they have yet to crash using the exact same plug-ins (Reaper for $60 and Nuendo for $1,700) without have to bounce anything. Get real... I know at least 20 other home studios running LE having the same issues and are looking at moving to Reaper. Pro Tools LE is a mess. I've only invested about $10,000 in hardware and software. Pro Tools LE is the weakest link in the studio and takes up most of that budget.

Good luck with Avid you will need it.