Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-23-2000, 03:29 PM

Default problems monitoring

i tried hooking my digi up to a home stereo-although i know this isn't the best monitor set-up, i had problems, with what should be very simple. i get very low volume combined with nasty clipping, feedback and static. i'm following the directions going out of the digi monitor outs and into the rca ins in my stereo amp. i'm theorizing the digi's monitor outs could be bad-as i tried 2 different stereo amps and had the same noises. any ideas?
Old 04-23-2000, 05:16 PM

Default Re: problems monitoring

Try the headphone jack with some phones and see if it's also got problems. If that's clean, then get a stereo-to-dual RCA adapter from the headphone out and plug that into your stereo. That should at least tell you whether it's your stereo's aux inputs or not.

Make sure you're not overdriving the preamp. The 001 puts out a +4 signal to the monitor out. Keep the monitor and/or headphone volume REAL low.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 04-25-2000, 02:23 PM

hello there.
if everything is ok with your system, it`s probably that your main digi output are to strong for your stereo.
try pluging the 3-4 5-6 7-8 output to your stereo they are -10db and not balanced I think it should be ok.
dont forget to assign your chanels output in protools [by default they are assigned to out 1-2.
good luck.david
Old 04-26-2000, 12:38 AM

Vince, I had a friend who had a problem almost identical to yours. I asked to see the adapaters he was using and it turns out he was using adapters that went from balanced 1/4" (tip/ring/sleeve) to RCA (unbalanced, there is no such thing as balanced RCA connections). It was a very strange thing to use and a very strange thing for Radio Shack to sell. I'm not sure how tech-privy you are, but I'll skip most the details about balanced/unbalanced systems and say that this adpater didn't (and won't) work for a few reasons. Since the adapater was most likely designed for some strange stereo 1/4" to RCA connection, both the hot and cold signals of the 1/4" balanced output of the 001 were getting through to the hot and ground connections of the RCA end and cancelling each other out (since they are 180 degrees out of phase). That leaves you with all the nastiness left over after the signal is cancelled out (which is most likely what you're hearing out of your stereo). Bottom line: make sure that the adapters you're using are MONO 1/4" (tip/sleeve, no ring) to RCA, NOT stereo/balanced 1/4" to RCA. After my friend switched to the proper adapters, his 001 worked just fine with his home stereo. I know this could have been much shorter, but I'm way to tired too edit right now. Oops, look at the sentence right below this, I edited. Oh well.

[This message has been edited by Chris Coleman (edited April 26, 2000).]
Old 04-26-2000, 05:54 PM

thanks, for your replies guys- i have to say they're much better suggestions than the digi tech support gave me- i'll give them a try and see what's up- chris i think you're onto the problem- i think it may be the adapters-i'll let you guys know, thanks vince
Old 04-26-2000, 06:39 PM

i think Chris is probably right- try new adapters.

stay away from rays shack!!!