Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-02-2021, 06:57 PM

Default Headphone jack woes after importing old sessions.

Hi friends!

I made the jump from a 2012 MacBook to the new M1 iMac and so far my Protools experience is smooth sailing until today. I could use some help I’m beyond frustrated.

My setup:
iMac (24inch, M1, 2021)
Protools 2021.7.0
*basic i/o setup using internal speakers and headphones

TLDR: Plugging in my headphones used to transition audio from the internal speakers to headphones, now it doesn’t. Audio continues to play via internal speakers. Problem isolated to Protools.

I was testing a workflow where I bring some “save copy in” sessions from my old laptop over to my iMac. Worked fine. I wasn’t too worried about anything relating to playback engine or i/o getting messed up because of how simple my setup is. But it started getting messy.

Plugging in my headphones used to transition audio from the internal speakers to headphones, now it doesn’t. Audio continues to play via internal speakers. Problem isolated to Protools.

I fiddled with the Mac’s native “Audio MIDI Setup” and “System Preferences” in conjunction with Protool’s “Hardware” “Playback Engine” and “i/o”

I cleared out any junk inputs and outputs from those laptop projects and reset to default inputs and outputs and busses but no luck.

I assume ‘iMac Speakers’ should be the Playback Engine because the ‘Pro Tools Aggregate i/o’ is finicky (it wanted to close projects every time I plugged in the headphones because it detected hardware changes from a third party application)

I didn’t pay attention to what the default setup was because everything worked, now I’m trying to get it back.

I tried loading simple stereo templates, restarting, reinstalling protools. I’m a bit lost and this is probably a simple fix.

Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2021, 10:23 AM

Default Headphone jack woes after importing old sessions.

Pro Tools should never have done the “switch to headphones when plugged in” bit. If you’re going to use the coreaudio headphone output, the headphones need to be plugged in already when starting Pro Tools. Then you would choose the headphones as the playback device.

Google how to set up the aggregate device. When properly configured, it offers the performance closest to having an actual dedicated audio interface.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-03-2021, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Headphone jack woes after importing old sessions.

Thanks Jimmy

It’s good to know Protools wanting to close and restart the session when detecting a change in hardware is normal/baseline behavior- that makes sense to me.

I don’t know how it was doing that before.

I’ll pursue the aggregate route!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2021, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Headphone jack woes after importing old sessions.

Many apps, at least the Apple ones, know enough to change to phones when you plug them in. But not all.

Try looking at the dropdown menu in the upper right corner of the screen next to the date and time - looks like 2 switches. From there, mouse down to "sound" and a small right pointing arrow appears. Click that and you should find "External Headphones" as a choice.

Let us know if that has any influence on ProTools.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (33.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (17.7 KB, 0 views)