Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 08-14-2021, 04:43 PM

Default Dadman crashing as Login Item

Having a problem with Dadman crashing during startup on a Mac running 11.4. Dadman runs stable when launching it manually. However, if I add it to the User Login Items it crashes every time as the Mac is starting up. Is there a known issue with that? I have the crash report to share if that would be helpful.

System: Mac mini (Intel) OS 11.4, MTRX Studio
Old 08-15-2021, 05:22 AM
Avid

Default Re: Dadman crashing as Login Item

Greetings,

Yes, I never recommend enabling auto-launch of DADman - on any computers. Especially if you are automatically loading .dms and .dmprof files on launch - it's a better idea to wait until the workstation is fully booted. I would also ensure that you were on at least 5.4.5.x of DADman. We should have 5.5.x compatibility as well announced shortly.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 08-15-2021, 08:47 AM

This system is used by students so I would prefer to have DADman launch on its own so students aren't interacting with it. I have found that it needs to be running because we are controlling speaker volume with the MTRX Studio encoder knob (CR monitors are fed from the line outs). When DADman isn't running, everything seems to except controlling speaker volume from that knob.

I have been using DADman 5.4.5.x and gave 5.5.x a try yesterday. It still crashed on startup but was stable when launching manually.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:20 AM
Avid

I would checkout something like Delay Start in the meantime to add a buffer to DADman so it is not trying to launch and restore profiles before all of the services are open and available.

https://apps.apple.com/app/delay-start/id591620786

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 08-16-2021, 08:49 AM

Yes, I use Delay Start set to 60 seconds, works every time.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:11 PM

Delay Start did indeed work. Thanks for the suggestion. It revealed that the delay needed for DADman to launch safely is short--about 5 seconds. However, my goal was to have DADman launch during startup and then hide and Delay Start doesn't include that feature. Ultimately I created a simple AppleScript to do this and it seems to have solved all the issues. I'm not very familiar with scripting so it took a few attempts but it's working consistently now. Really appreciate the help figuring this out.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:24 AM

Hi J,

Would you be willing to share your delay script?

Buddy
PT Ult 2020.11 HDX2
S6 2021.6.1
Old 11-02-2021, 05:10 PM

Here's the script. You can use the Script Editor app and just paste the text in there. Export it and choose Application as the File Format. Then just add the resulting app to your User Login items in Mac System Prefs. Hope this helps others.
------------------------------
delay 5
tell application "Finder"
activate
open application file "DADman.app" of folder "Applications" of folder "System" of startup disk

end tell
delay 8

tell application "System Events"
set visible of process "DADman" to false
end tell