Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 12-21-2019, 05:29 PM

Default Android Tablets for S1 and S3 Dock...

Curious now that Avid Control supports Android devices, which cheap tablets people end up finding fit nicely on both the S1 and S3 Dock. Sounds like the Amazon Fire Tabelt 10" will fit the S1 nicely and saw them today for $119 at Amazon. But supposedly it's too wide for the S3 Dock, so curious what other devices people find that fit these things well...
Old 12-23-2019, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Android Tablets for S1 and S3 Dock...

I've heard the same but since Amazon had the Fire 10" on sale last week for $79, I bought it anyway. Still waiting for the S1 to arrive

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-23-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
Curious now that Avid Control supports Android devices, which cheap tablets people end up finding fit nicely on both the S1 and S3 Dock. Sounds like the Amazon Fire Tabelt 10" will fit the S1 nicely and saw them today for $119 at Amazon. But supposedly it's too wide for the S3 Dock, so curious what other devices people find that fit these things well...
My experience with the android tablet was a severe disappointment at least with the TAB A. When my S1 arrived I got it all setup and was excited for the low cost tablet option for the meters. However I had severe lag which made it unusable in my situation. I did a lot of troubleshooting and what I discovered is that unlike the Ipads, the networking on the Tab A was really crappy and inconsistent because testing the speed it often was getting 50 down 8-10 up while the Ipads were averaging 100\50 which matches my ISP subscription. What was really interesting is that when the android was in the mix it started causing my ipad to lag as well. When I replaced it with a mini everything went away and functioned relatively normally. I tested all sorts of scenarios and I finally returned the android to costco and will head to BB that has the 32gb 10.5 ipad for 249 and grab an open box for 220 which is about what I paid with tax for the TAB A. I had high hopes but it just did not work well for me at all. Maybe the more expensive androids are better not sure about the fire tablets but I didnt look at them. As always verify the return policy.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the Tab A. That's one I was considering for the S1 but your comments give me pause. Do you know if that issue is experienced by other users not using it with Avid Control? Is it something inherent in the OS or hardware? I've never owned any Android devices so I have no experience with how well they perform. iPhones and iPads have worked well for me but the price points on alternatives are attractive.

-Chris
• Avid Dock,
Artist Series Mix & iPad 7th gen & EuCon 2022.9
• DADman/Eucon monitoring
• BSS (DAN + 100), QSC DCA 1644, JBL 7 Series
• MTRX Studio // 7.1 (7.1.4 pending)

www.quesound.com
Old 12-23-2019, 03:26 PM

Well all I know is that Avid used the Tab A during all their demos of the S1 setup at the Music conventions and demo videos. 2-3 S1’s and the Tab A’s on all of them and they look good and worked great. Someother thing is making his the tablet do the lagging as Avid would hardly demo their latest hardware and all the RnD costs using a substandard Tablet for their new shiny controllers.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-23-2019, 03:46 PM

That's the vibe I got from the guys at the Burbank office a couple of months ago; that the Android tablets work well.

Curious to know what router you're using, ramonetl, and how it was configured with Eucon.
• Avid Dock,

www.quesound.com
Old 12-23-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Well all I know is that Avid used the Tab A during all their demos of the S1 setup at the Music conventions and demo videos. 2-3 S1’s and the Tab A’s on all of them and they look good and worked great. Someother thing is making his the tablet do the lagging as Avid would hardly demo their latest hardware and all the RnD costs using a substandard Tablet for their new shiny controllers.
Correct and I confirmed this with Eddie and he thinks it was the Network but I added a wifi expander with no change. If you google you will see a lot of people complaining the wifi is quite slow on the tab A. My five year old Ipad mini ran circles on ookla speed test over the new Tab A. I bought the latest 10.5 ipad 32gb at BB for 250 today to run my meters.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewk View Post
That's the vibe I got from the guys at the Burbank office a couple of months ago; that the Android tablets work well.

Curious to know what router you're using, ramonetl, and how it was configured with Eucon.
I have the Netgear Nighthawk R6700 which I think is AC1750. I also Saturday tried adding the netgear EX7000 AC1900 wifi expander literally right next to my studio desk and it made no difference. The androids wifi is just slow and very inconsistent. I tested with several ipads and the tab a and the results sadly were consistent. Serious lag on my tab a. BTW I dont think this is anything wrong on the Avid side. I think it is the tablet. I suspect the pricier android is likely going to work better but at that price point I will just go apple.

As for the Eucon, the Dock and S1 are physical ethernet and added in. Works flawlessly. The 6th Gen Ipad 10.5 is using wifi and bound to the Dock and my new Ipad is going to be bound to the S1 for the meters. I may switch em around but that is easy to do. I was using my ipad mini after the TAB A with the S1 and it worked fine. All tables use a 5G wifi connection and should average 100-120MBs Download and 50 MBs Upload.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:13 PM

Thanks. Yeah all that seems solid. I appreciate the info.
• Avid Dock,

www.quesound.com
Old 12-24-2019, 04:05 AM

Hi to all! Has anyone tried to make wired ethernet connection to Fire tablets? For iPad on my Avid dock apple camera connection kit and usb to RJ45 adapter works very well. Control app is very responsive and charges iPad meanwhile. Wondering, is it possible to do the same with Amazon Fire HD? Would be petty if I needed to add wifi router to my Eucon network just to run one tablet.