Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 03-10-2009, 01:04 PM

Question My C8 Display is shorting out.

Hey guys... My out of warranty C8 display is shorting out for some reason. It will be illuminated, then go off. You can still see that there is a read out, it's just not illuminated. If you give the top of the unit a little finger tap up by the display, it'll come back on, but for how long is always a mystery.

I know for a fact that the logic board for this area has a short. I just don't know where or what. I took a small screwdriver and stuck it carefully thru the vent holes, and positioned so that it wasn't touching anything crucial, and applied gentle pressure upwards, and the light would stay on. So, I left the screwdriver in there, and draped my power cable over it, so that it was pushing down on the screwdriver, applying this pressure. It will stay illuminated indefinitely now.

BUT... I don't want it like this! I can call Digi Tech, they will charge me for it, won't be able to do anything, then have me send it in, applying my phone charge to the repair bill, or so I was told. Or I can send it to Sweetwater since they are close to where I live, and they will fix it. They have $60 bench fee, per hour.

I don't know what to do. I don't want this to end up being hundreds of dollars. If it's going to be, I'll just live with it, and never be able to sell it.
I wonder if I completely took the thing apart and removed the logic board for the display, if Digi would allow me to purchase one and fix it myself? It's out of warranty... so what do I have to lose? I'll either ruin it, or fix it! I'm sure I can do it.

Thanks!

j
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan