Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2009, 12:38 AM

Default Ok, Avid. No more PPC support. BUT WHY NO REASONABLE UPGRADE PATH???

Digi / Avid,

So be it, we PPC users are getting dumped. It was going to happen sometime. Fine.

BUT, why no reasonable upgrade path???

Why haven't you opened up the card exchanges officially to get people off of PCIx and on PCIe? The amount of resentment you're building up against yourselves is really epic..... Why?

Is it because new cards are around the corner? That you don't want to have to do two sets of card exchanges when newly-upgraded PCIe customers complain? Or, are you just trying to use PT users as a way of covering Avid's market share losses?

I suggest that you create a special new card exchange program that's pretty generous, and you will restore a LOT of the good will that you have squandered. Think about it....

Anyone with me here?

Edited to Add
- Avid, here's an idea. Make a deal with Apple to get a bunch of Digi-blessed machines (fully supported models), and sell them in conjunction with the upgraded PCIe cards as a computer / card exchange package. That way, you can zap Apple for some of the dollars that's we're going to spend anyway, and we users won't get screwed as badly as we would otherwise. We all kinda get what we want that way. Hopefully such a scenario is within the realm of possibility.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Ok, Avid. No more PPC support. BUT WHY NO UPGRADE PATH???

Yeah 110%
Its not just the $3000 new MAC I need but the new cards as well. I also hate the fact that I cant get a simple upgrade to fix problems that 8.0.1 caused and now Im being blown off with no fix?
I really hope they come out with a fix to finalize the last version of PT for PPC users.
But still a exchange program would greatly help the cost to upgrade if (and that is a big if) I decide to upgrade.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:14 AM

There's been an upgrade path from PCI to PCI-e since the PCI-e cards came out. It's expensive as hello, but you can't complain about no upgrade path because it's not technically correct.
IMDB
Old 12-17-2009, 01:22 AM

If you ask me, here's the deal:

Swapping PCI-X card for PCI-e card: 3000 (Digi)
Buying completely new PCI-e card: 1500 (eBay)

Where's the beef? You can buy two new cards for the price of exchanging one! And if you're lucky, even brand new pci-e accel core cards can be bought for less than the card exchange program price.

With this kind of pricing, it would be better to keep the old system as a backup. Not a bad idea, but still, makes one think the old cards are "worthless". The card exchange should be way cheaper than it is now.

That said... I already have pci-e cards so I'm not asking anything for myself.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:22 AM

IO
where is this exchange at?
I looked but I didn't see it.
Help me out.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IO Composer View Post
There's been an upgrade path from PCI to PCI-e since the PCI-e cards came out. It's expensive as hello, but you can't complain about no upgrade path because it's not technically correct.
Could someone make it crystal clear to complete dunces like me exactly HOW to do this? A link perhaps?
Old 12-17-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IO Composer View Post

Fair enough, Jamey. It took me several minutes to find it on their website, but Digi does have an exchange program. No prices listed on the site except for LE upgrades, but it says it exists.

How about a SPECIAL exchange program with REASONABLE prices, given the rather uniquely crappy situation that PPC PTHD customers are faced with? Hopefully that's technically correct enough.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Ok, Avid. No more PPC support. BUT WHY NO REASONABLE UPGRADE PATH???

Thanks for link
Old 12-17-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart P. View Post
How about a SPECIAL exchange program with REASONABLE prices, given the rather uniquely crappy situation that PPC PTHD customers are faced with? Hopefully that's technically correct enough.
Would love that myself (newly hobbled PPC user... fortunately it's my editor's machine so not too bummed). Fingers crossed...
IMDB
Old 12-17-2009, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Ok, Avid. No more PPC support. BUT WHY NO REASONABLE UPGRADE PATH???

I just had a rant about this on the other thread.
Give us an upgrade path that doesn't rip the wallet from our pocket ......like the current one does.............and a lot of us PPC users will gladly make the jump.
The upgrade price to PCIe has always been a farce.
It's not as if we are gaining any power with the PCIe cards. It's the same as what we have. The computer I put the card into will give me more power but I'm going to pay Apple for that.

If you refuse to provide a reasonable upgrade price then please at least explain or justify the price tag....other than saying "because we can"