How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 02-14-2022, 09:26 AM

Default Re: EZ Drummer questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Might there be an upgrade path from EZdrummer to SD3?
There is but it isn't cheap. IOW buying EZ Drummer and immediately using that to upgrade to SD3 is more expensive than buying SD3 outright. At least it was when I started looking last year.

QAPLA!
Old 02-14-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Might there be an upgrade path from EZdrummer to SD3?
As of now, they knock $100 off if going from EZ2 to SD3

System Details
Old 02-14-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
I had totally forgotten about BFD until you mentioned it. I had a license years ago but have since switched to SD3 and Addictive Drums.
BFD was a mess back in the day but I was pleasantly surprised by their new website and after entering my old BFD 1 license, the price for BFD3 went from $349 to $49!! Its the full license with around 60Gigs of sample content.
I still think their GUI stinks but I always liked their raw drum sounds. SD3 and AD sound very processed and polished. I record a ton of "real" drums and BFD comes closest to a raw un processed live drum sound.
Just my opinion, nothing more.
Just my opinion, nothing more...

Last year, fXpansion sold BFD to InMusic, aka "Where software goes to die".

Users (including me) were forced to exchange their fXpansion licenses for InMusic versions. As a result of the changeover, the License Manager is designed bomb out after a month or so, requiring logging into InMusic to reauthorize the BFD application and expansions. For those of us who just have better thing to do with their time, it's a PITA. For those who have their production machines offline or travel while trying to use BFD, this is problematic.

I'm a very occasional user of BFD. I bought it several years ago because, as digiot opined, the sounds are really nice. That said, my heart sank when I read that the sale by fXpansion (whose IP protection was already draconian) to InMusic had taken place. I agree with digiot that the BFD GUI is outdated and difficult, but I've come to terms with it; I, too was also surprised by the InMusic BFD website, but not in a good way (circular references, links to nothing, etc.).

The BFD forum makes the DUC look like fanboi central. I encourage anyone interested in acquiring BFD products to lurk their forum before forking over any cash. I've actually felt sorry for Drew, the BFD Product Manager and apparently sole human resource making the transition to InMusic; I get the distinct impression that he's fighting the good fight for the customers, alone, but the suits and beancounters seem to prevail. Last time I checked (granted, a few weeks back), the requirement to log in and reauthorize frequently was still in place.

I'm certainly not suggesting that BFD should be avoided at all cost. I am suggesting strongly that any purchases be made with eyes wide open.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
Just my opinion, nothing more...

Last year, fXpansion sold BFD to InMusic, aka "Where software goes to die".

Users (including me) were forced to exchange their fXpansion licenses for InMusic versions. As a result of the changeover, the License Manager is designed bomb out after a month or so, requiring logging into InMusic to reauthorize the BFD application and expansions. For those of us who just have better thing to do with their time, it's a PITA. For those who have their production machines offline or travel while trying to use BFD, this is problematic.

I'm a very occasional user of BFD. I bought it several years ago because, as digiot opined, the sounds are really nice. That said, my heart sank when I read that the sale by fXpansion (whose IP protection was already draconian) to InMusic had taken place. I agree with digiot that the BFD GUI is outdated and difficult, but I've come to terms with it; I, too was also surprised by the InMusic BFD website, but not in a good way (circular references, links to nothing, etc.).

The BFD forum makes the DUC look like fanboi central. I encourage anyone interested in acquiring BFD products to lurk their forum before forking over any cash. I've actually felt sorry for Drew, the BFD Product Manager and apparently sole human resource making the transition to InMusic; I get the distinct impression that he's fighting the good fight for the customers, alone, but the suits and beancounters seem to prevail. Last time I checked (granted, a few weeks back), the requirement to log in and reauthorize frequently was still in place.

I'm certainly not suggesting that BFD should be avoided at all cost. I am suggesting strongly that any purchases be made with eyes wide open.
Amen.

I've been through this wringer and it sucks. Started with BFD 2, then BFD 3 and now this debacle. There are a few others so it's not just a one-person shop with Drew (Andrew Vernon). Supposedly they had a year long beta test and as anyone who's experiencing this it's still not right. At least the thing to have to login to the BFD site is up to 90 days. But you still have to be logged in to their license manager (you can be offline though).

Wish I had the money to go to SD3.

QAPLA!