Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2008, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Digi any ideah\'s ... can you just give us a hint.......

Quote:
If you are SOOO into Logic 8, then can you do us a favor and leave this message board?

I am really tired of hearing about Logic. Go to the Logic Boards and tell them how awesome Logic is compared to Pro Tools.

Honestly dude, I am really, really, sick of hearing about GarageBand Pro...... *ahem* Logic 8.

If you don't like Pro Tools then don't use it. It's just that easy!!

P.S. IMHO T-Pain sucks.
I am sure his bank account does not suck, again friends and foes it really comes down to results.

I have a friend with a bedroom full of sound modules, yet he has very poor results why because his main idea is to have the tool and not generate measurable practical results from the tool.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
While I agree with parts of both sides of the argument, I whole hartedly agree with ctmusicman that us members bitching has brought improvments to the PT LE software, amoungst his other arguments. I'm sure there are other factors that are in play like other native DAWs getting better and better, but Digi is certainly reading these forums and I believe listen to what we want, to some extent.

I am also a PT/Logic user, and love both programs. I think one great thing about Logic coming out for so cheap loaded with features, like many others DAWs, is it forces Digi to stay competetive, which they are doing with the LE line SLOWLY but surely. IMO, it's only a matter of time before we see a full fledged native version of PT. Many don't agree, but I think HD is dying a slow death.
They have shifted their focus to Venue, they will always prioritize high end customers.Stop denying the fact that LE out of the box is very limited, at most what can sequence, and arrange loops, but the art of Instrumental production requires a much more forgiving work environment and that means, more tracks, fewer processing errors, a much better sample browser / manager.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:43 AM

No I still use it as I have done most of my work in past in PT LE. I have an apple 8 core with Leopard installed. At the moment, digi is still working on LE upgrade. Waiting for the update from digi just gave me time to start using Logic more. The more i started using another DAW made me realize PT LE shortcomings. Listen other have stated "If logic is so god why not just use that and stop whining", if I you complain you will never get heard. how will a vendor know you feel if you don't honestly post things. I have a lot invested in PT. I currently own a Mbox 2 Pro, Mini and Micro also with a vast amount of plugins through digi and Waves. All I am saying is for digi to be fair and stop scaling down the LE line especially with the track count thing.

www.stratfordtownstudios.com
[email protected]
Old 05-11-2008, 07:51 AM

Dude you don't like hearing about Logic and other Daw's then don't read the thread. there are two type of man. those that run the house and those that run around the house, which one are you?

[email protected]
Old 05-11-2008, 07:51 AM

Dude you don't like hearing about Logic and other Daw's then don't read the thread. there are two type of man. those that run the house and those that run around the house, which one are you?

[email protected]
Old 05-11-2008, 07:53 AM

Digi must be giving you free software or something. don't just accept things. voice your opinion and be heard. If I didn't i would never go you so interested now. I posted a couple of items in this forum and it never stirred things up so much. Ask yourself why.

[email protected]
Old 05-11-2008, 09:34 AM

Dude, can you please stop double and triple posting. You only have to hit the "submit" button once.

You're wasting bandwidth (not mention sucking the oxygen out of rational debate).

And as to the Logic vs PT issue, you have to be really dumb if you don't think that,

1) Digidesign is not aware of other product's feature sets.

2) They are not aware of their bottom line.

I have worked with the antecedents of Logic when it was still Creator from C-Labs. It was just a sequencer then, and a great one at that. I have worked with Opcode and MOTU stuff. But you cannot tell me by any stretch of the imagination, that any of those early sequencer programs have managed to make audio as elegant and adaptable for audio people as PT has.

It really is head and shoulders above anything out there. Yes MIDI could do with some improvements, and yes Structure seems like a Frankensteinian creation. But I would never consider Logic to be in any way a professional audio application.

However, to quote the venerable Fletcher, YMMV.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:47 AM

Aggreed...
I would never master audio in Logic, but would use it for MIDI.
The only thing that bothers me is that PT has A LOT of compatibility issues, but when get passed that, the program runs flawless.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:01 PM

I used to be a Cakewalk Sonar user because that is what came with the DAW package I bought. When I realized I wanted to be an audio pro (i.e. attend a pro audio school and then work in the industry), I bought a Mac and PT (002r) simply because it IS the industry standard - everyone uses it and therefore minimizes any compatibility issues.

Over the past two years I've been learning PT, I have come to love the program's elegance and simplicity, yet powerful feature set.

That said, I too am disappointed with Digi's business model; but they set it up that way. They were always Pro, but then decided to jump into the project / prosumer studio business. The divide will always be there so long as that business model remains.

Yes, there are a lot of a other programs that are full-featured, but they are the same as HD - and should never be compared with LE. And yes, if you want to complain about it just go out and get a Logic / Apogee set-up; problem solved.

It's a catch 22: we all love the program but hate the gouging that's clearly happening - what to do?!
Old 05-11-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I am not saying digi stuff isn't good but COME ON we are being ROBBED by scaled down features over PT HD just because they are supposed to be industry standards.
Really? We've been "robbed"? What did Digidesign "take" from us?

Quote:
I just letting the truth come out. digi needs to stop limiting the product for the LE and MPowered users when everthing out there on the market isn't.
Thanks for letting the truth come out...do you think you've said anything here that hasn't been said a million times before? Do you not think that Digidesign knows, as well as or better than anyone, what their customers (and potential customers) think>

And I'm not sure that they need to do anything...they seem to be doing all right...

Quote:
Apple released Logic 8 at $500 for a reason and the result is we are discussing it on a Pro tools forum.
Yes, and that reason is to sell more of their hardware.

Quote:
IMO, it's only a matter of time before we see a full fledged native version of PT. Many don't agree, but I think HD is dying a slow death.
I wouldn't be surprised if we do indeed see a fully-featured native version of Pro Tools at some point, but I don't think that HD is dying a slow death...people are still buying it, people are still developing for it, you read about more and more Icon systems going into big studios all the time, and its replacement is already certainly in the wings...

[QUOTE]
-MP3 Export Option by default (I mean who own a computer don't need to bounce to mp3, still only company that doesn't include[QUOTE]

I don't...and I think that, despite the number of people that squawk about these things on various forms, people don't realize how may people use this software just to record and mix down and don't need all of these extra features so many people complain about. The mp3 option it cheap for you, but since Digidesign has to pay for each license it sends out it would be very expensive for them to include it with every system.

If you really need it but feel so strongly about paying extra for it just bounce down to WAV files and get any of the free programs that use a different codec out there to convert after the fact.

Quote:
The only thing that bothers me is that PT has A LOT of compatibility issues, but when get passed that, the program runs flawless.
Exactly...if you follow Digidesign's guidelines you'll have a system that does everything they say it will, guaranteed...I wonder how many people buy other programs with "unlimited track count" and are surprised when, for some reason or another, there actually is a limit to what their systems will do?