Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 12:54 PM

Default brain twister....missing edits.

I have been working on a major project where I all of a sudden am having problems with file management.

I have 12 tunes that I have been editing as part of this project, each piece its own PT session. In each session, I have multiple takes (I am not using playlists). At the end of all these takes, I have created a little cut and paste operation where I take the best of each take and make it into a coherant tune. (This is a large concert band, so it takes some doing).

No problems up until now.

These files are on a Glyph external firewire drive. Two weeks ago, I decided to make a copy of everything to the local computer hard drive by dragging it into a folder. When I went to open the original up later, I saw a task pane saying that it could not find some files and it needed to be manually relinked. I did so, and there were no further problems as the files were in the audio folder.

Two days ago, I decided that since I have put two solid weeks into it, that I would do another backup. Now the real trouble begins.

I opened up one of my sessions, and the last set of regions (at the end of each session where I am doing my editing), all of my edits are gone. If you look at it, it appears as if I had consolidated it, but in fact I did not. My edits are still there because I can hear that they are playing right, but I see no vertical lines, region names, or fades. If I go to the region list and click on the region names that should identify my edit points, it highlights the audio in the original takes where it was obtained from. So, I think that it is still referencing these edits, but they do not show.

In another one of my sessions, two tracks out of 10 are missing from my cut and paste regions. The original files are there from the original take.

My question is, how in the world does this happen?
Here is my gear:

PT6.2
HD3 Accel
G5 dual processor
(2) 192 I/O
Pro Cntrl 24
Glyph GT 103 Firewire drives

Wondering if anyone has any answers?

Thanks

Mack
Old 08-18-2004, 01:32 PM

Default Re: brain twister....missing edits.

Toggle Display Auto-Created Regions and see what happens.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-18-2004, 03:49 PM

Mack,

I had a similar problem. A couple of days ago, I tracked a few guitars, and on the next day when I opened the session, they were no longer to be found. We had to re-record. I thought I hadn't saved, but now that you've encounted this problem, maybe this is a bug with file management.

Dean
Old 08-18-2004, 05:13 PM

Even if you hadn't saved, the audio files should still be located in the session's audio folder. You would have to reimport them, but they are (supposed to be) saved when you record.

No idea what is going on with the missing edits, but this sounds like another bug to me.