Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-14-2004, 03:50 PM

Default Beyer M500 Ribbon mics, re-ribbon?

I've got two Beyer M500 ribbon mics. They're 20 years old. They sound different, one may be normal, the other is about 6-9 db
down and slightly thin in comparison, but they work. Beyer USA can completely re-ribbon for $140 each. There's another company
called TALKING DOG TRANSDUCER COMPANY http://www.thuntek.net/~bk11/home.htm that does assorted audio mods and repairs, including ribbon mic repair. They can re-ribbon with RCA 77DX ribbons for $125each. I've been told the RCA 77DX doesn't
have much high end. I know the RCA 77DX is a classic ribbon mic but I've never seen or heard one. Since there's so many mics on the market these days in all price ranges is it worth getting the M500's repaired? I record mostly close mic'd spoken word and would like a nice warm sound without too much sibilence on female voices.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Beyer M500 Ribbon mics, re-ribbon?

I had my RCA 77D re-ribboned by Steven Sank at the address you listed. Beautiful that resurrected this great old mic. In my experience the ribbon is less sizzle but very appropriate on many voices and instruments. Even on the same voice from song to song. My last project had my lead singer singing through either the 77D or a AT 4050 depending on the track. Fiddle and other crunchier high end acoustic instrument work much better with the ribbon. It's definitely a worthy part of my mic locker (actually it's a drawer...)

I can get some varied high end response using the various patterns and rolls off on the 77D. Omni produced more high end when I did some testing. I dig the 77D.

Sank was wonderful, fairly quick and loves ribbons. I believe he can put an RCA ribbon in the Beyer for you.
Jt