Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 08-01-2013, 10:01 PM

Default iLok License manager

Just transferred my first license and I must say they finally have it down - nice - thanks

I had tried about a month ago and got zilch at the credit card page

This was instant - finally now I just want to have my grace period back
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Ilok manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Just transferred my first license and I must say they finally have it down - nice - thanks

I had tried about a month ago and got zilch at the credit card page

This was instant - finally now I just want to have my grace period back
+11

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-02-2013, 12:52 PM

Default Re: iLok License manager

I just tried upgrading to 11 to find that because I have an iLok 1 (or in other words: because I've been an Avid/Digidesign customer for a number of years) I cannot use PT 11, cannot use PT 10 because that had to be surrendered, am now without PT at all and have to shell out further for an iLok 2.

Yet another Avid let-down. You'd think I'd be used to it by now.

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo » 4GB RAM » Mbox 2 Pro » PT 10.3.4 » OS X 10.8.3 » Formac 500GB » Alesis M1 Active Mk2
Old 08-02-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstryr View Post
I just tried upgrading to 11 to find that because I have an iLok 1 (or in other words: because I've been an Avid/Digidesign customer for a number of years) I cannot use PT 11, cannot use PT 10 because that had to be surrendered, am now without PT at all and have to shell out further for an iLok 2.

I was forced a number of years ago into a V2 b/c of slate VCC

Old 08-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:

Check the Private Message I sent you.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I just tried upgrading to 11 to find that because I have an iLok 1 (or in other words: because I've been an Avid/Digidesign customer for a number of years)
The fact that PT11 needs an iLok2 has been a well known fact for a long time (before the release of 11). Obviously you didn't take the time to do any research and "because I've been an Avid/Digidesign customer for a number of years" leaves you with no excuse for not knowing in advance of upgrading.

Quote:
I cannot use PT 11, cannot use PT 10 because that had to be surrendered, am now without PT at all and have to shell out further for an iLok 2.
Once you get over yourself and get what is needed to run PT11, you'll get a dual licence for 10 & 11.

Quote:
Realistically the only one who has let you down is yourself!

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 08-03-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
Check the Private Message I sent you.
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for doing that for me, and quickly as well. At least I'm back with a functioning system for the time being.

Dstryr

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo » 4GB RAM » Mbox 2 Pro » PT 10.3.4 » OS X 10.8.3 » Formac 500GB » Alesis M1 Active Mk2
Old 08-03-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
The fact that PT11 needs an iLok2 has been a well known fact for a long time (before the release of 11). Obviously you didn't take the time to do any research and "because I've been an Avid/Digidesign customer for a number of years" leaves you with no excuse for not knowing in advance of upgrading.

Once you get over yourself and get what is needed to run PT11, you'll get a dual licence for 10 & 11.

Realistically the only one who has let you down is yourself!
To say I did not do "any research" prior to upgrading is factually incorrect. I did a lot of research. Because Avid is so particular about the system PT runs on, I spent hours poring over the requirements and compatibility with my hardware (Mac and interface), OS and third party plug-ins.

I also looked into iLok. I checked my iLok account and said I had iLok 2.

Let me give you an example. I have just activated a 30-day PT 10 extension, which Bruce kindly gave me, and within iLok License Manager it shows a list of connected devices, namely my iMac and "iLok 2 (*******)". The same information is on my iLok online account. This suggests to me that I have an iLok 2, as is required for PT 11. Hence my research leading me to believe I had compatible hardware all-round. However, the image beside my PT 11 license (within iLok License Manager) is of a different shape to the one by my PT 10 license, which corresponds to my actual iLok.

Furthermore, what aggravates me is that I have had to pay for the upgrade to 11 and now have to pay out more. Just because iLok 2 has been around for some time makes no difference, it's still a forced expenditure. Other DAW/software developers manage to license their products without the added expense, like Logic for example, for which I was able to use my Emagic XSKey (from v5) right up to v7, and possibly 8 or 9 had I continued with it. Now Logic Pro X doesn't even require a dongle, neither does BFD. That's why it's an Avid let-down, because ultimately it is the way they have decided to protect the software which is the root cause.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:25 AM

I'm sure pace has let down many customers over the years - that's the let down

BFD (which I own) is a bit different animal as far as piracy is concerned - their program is pirated and most likely quite easily however you could not very easily download 65gb worth of samples over your residential connection - so that's that

Avid is a very different kind of installer that would spread over the net like a fire (it's about 4gb) so I would assume they would take extra measures
To protect their intellectual property and I don't blame them - and pace is the unfortunate outcome of the situation they find themselves in

The ilokv2 - I like it much better btw -

pace and their stripping away my grace period on new ilok's - terrible and i disdain the decision - this once again is the source of the let down

Old 08-03-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
To say I did not do "any research" prior to upgrading is factually incorrect. I did a lot of research. Because Avid is so particular about the system PT runs on, I spent hours poring over the requirements and compatibility with my hardware (Mac and interface), OS and third party plug-ins.

I also looked into iLok. I checked my iLok account and said I had iLok 2.

Let me give you an example. I have just activated a 30-day PT 10 extension, which Bruce kindly gave me, and within iLok License Manager it shows a list of connected devices, namely my iMac and "iLok 2 (*******)". The same information is on my iLok online account. This suggests to me that I have an iLok 2, as is required for PT 11. Hence my research leading me to believe I had compatible hardware all-round. However, the image beside my PT 11 license (within iLok License Manager) is of a different shape to the one by my PT 10 license, which corresponds to my actual iLok.

Furthermore, what aggravates me is that I have had to pay for the upgrade to 11 and now have to pay out more. Just because iLok 2 has been around for some time makes no difference, it's still a forced expenditure. Other DAW/software developers manage to license their products without the added expense, like Logic for example, for which I was able to use my Emagic XSKey (from v5) right up to v7, and possibly 8 or 9 had I continued with it. Now Logic Pro X doesn't even require a dongle, neither does BFD. That's why it's an Avid let-down, because ultimately it is the way they have decided to protect the software which is the root cause.
That symbol corresponds to the Ilok you need. Ilok 2 though will work with any.

I have been with them for around 13 years and have multiple Ilok 2's before 11 came around due to certain plugins. Its not really a matter of how long you have been with them, Its a case of how much attention has been paid and if you have purchased any plugins the last few years that has required an Ilok 2. You can think of it as an added expense but it extends further than PT itself. Go puchase plugins from Slate (He has specials all the time giving them away for free), Sonnox, Avid, Metric Halo, etc. they all require v2. You dont seem to have the same hostility toward the first Ilok?

the Emagic dongle you speak of was supported only till Logic V.7
Logic X is only 200.00$ new...... Quite a difference to PT.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10