Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 10-07-2021, 04:44 PM

Default Carbon's Future...?

At first I heard sales were slow, but I'm hearing from my dealer that they have really picked up.

I know there was some mention that future upgrades/expansions were planned for Carbon from Avid, though nothing formally announced. I assume this was because they needed, and perhaps still need, to see how sales go.

I hope the future is bright for Carbon. Originally a remote was planned for Omni, but never happened, budget reasons I was told.

Hopefully we will see this unit a big success and more features added on in due time...

Tom
Old 10-07-2021, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Carbon's Future...?

I hope that's true about sales picking up. I'm really hoping they come out with an 8 or 16 channel expansion add-on. I don't need more preamps but more channels would be lovely.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:25 PM

I hope they euconize preamp gain and monitor controls like headphone levels etc. in the first place.

Best

Mark
Old 10-28-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ziebarth View Post
I hope they euconize preamp gain and monitor controls like headphone levels etc. in the first place.

Best

Mark

Preamp gain
Speaker and headphone levels still missing in EuCon.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
I hope that's true about sales picking up. I'm really hoping they come out with an 8 or 16 channel expansion add-on. I don't need more preamps but more channels would be lovely.
Agree, have you looked at the ferrofish pulse 16? I was thinking about just getting one of those, but an AVID made ADAT converter would be nice.

Couldnt they just swap the HDX with an ADAT module in the matrx studio?
Old 11-11-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightamrock View Post
Agree, have you looked at the ferrofish pulse 16? I was thinking about just getting one of those, but an AVID made ADAT converter would be nice.
I picked up the MOTU 16A to expand my channel count but I'd grab an AVID extension if one came out and dump the MOTU.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:12 PM

Amusingly (?) Avid's Carbon web page is currently missing in action, throwing a '404. Oh what does that mean? Somebody screwing up? Somebody trying to update it?

https://www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-carbon

But as for more expansion, OK you can get ADAT, but why would Avid produce their own ADAT preamp? Piling into an already very crowded market? Even if they made it with ADAT and AVB. ... but could it have DSP on board and span Hybrid DSP across boxes? If so then the economic development thing to to do for Avid would be to just support multiple Carbon connected at the same time?

(No not that I am personally going to buy a Carbon, I have a RME Fireface UFX+ on order... if RME ever gets their delivery act together).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 9.04.53 PM.jpg (37.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-11-2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
But as for more expansion, OK you can get ADAT, but why would Avid produce their own ADAT preamp? Piling into an already very crowded market? Even if they made it with ADAT and AVB. ... but could it have DSP on board and span Hybrid DSP across boxes? If so then the economic development thing to to do for Avid would be to just support multiple Carbon connected at the same time?
I'd be intrigued to know whether the AVB latency is low enough to allow the DSP to span units, or whether DSP will only be applicable to local I/O. I can imagine this would get complicated if you have DSP on an aux that is fed from inputs from multiple units, or even a single input with a non-local output.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:16 AM

I'm not sure "spanning units" would work the way you are thinking. I'm more thinking multiple boxes with their own local DSP. Starting with if Avid are going that way, start by supporting multiple Carbon boxes used together. That's a nice thought from so many aspects. Those resource are just sitting out there on your ABV network, be nice to pick and choose and combine together different boxes as you need.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I'm not sure "spanning units" would work the way you are thinking. I'm more thinking multiple boxes with their own local DSP. Starting with if Avid are going that way, start by supporting multiple Carbon boxes used together. That's a nice thought from so many aspects. Those resource are just sitting out there on your AVB network, be nice to pick and choose and combine together different boxes as you need.
Agreed, local DSP makes a lot of sense, but it's going to create some user experience confusion if you can't route things in DSP mode that span more than one unit. Or, if you can, then AVB is going to need to meet the same latency guarantees that staying inside a single unit can.