Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2021, 08:27 AM

Default Re: MIDI in 2021 and BEYOND

Quote:
Originally Posted by podusa View Post
- The shortcut "B" stands for "Separate" in the manual, but it does not do that with MIDI, only audio. (Yes, it separates the Clip, but not the notes, soooo....who needs that?)

- It should work the same way in my opinion, cutting audio and MIDI
This is all we are asking for. Let B (SEPARATE) work on the notes within the clip. NOT JUST THE CLIP BOX! Let it B
Old 09-09-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
This is all we are asking for. Let B (SEPARATE) work on the notes within the clip. NOT JUST THE CLIP BOX! Let it B
To B or not to B.

I’m not sure about this. I’d much prefer the Logic solution of giving you options for you want to happen.

A lot of the time, B might separate a note that’s just ahead of where you want to separate, or separate an overhanging note from the previous section. You’d potentially end up with two notes, an orphaned one in it’s original position and a new one where the separation is that’s no longer in it’s original position or the remnants of an overhanging note that shouldn’t be there at all.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
To B or not to B.

I’m not sure about this. I’d much prefer the Logic solution of giving you options for you want to happen.

A lot of the time, B might separate a note that’s just ahead of where you want to separate, or separate an overhanging note from the previous section. You’d potentially end up with two notes, an orphaned one in it’s original position and a new one where the separation is that’s no longer in it’s original position or the remnants of an overhanging note that shouldn’t be there at all.
I totally agree, but I'd take the simple B Separate working on notes within a clip as better than nothing. Ultimately, we need the prompt option that Logic has: "Do you want to keep, shorten, or split the notes that cross the point where the region is being split?"
Old 09-09-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
... "Why people on here want to defend this blows my mind! Lets make it better!! Its 2021.
"...
yes absolutely

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 09-09-2021, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podusa View Post
Yes, exactly.
To cut one bar, I have to change view, zoom in, change tool, cut, change view again, zoom out, change tool again…AND I can only edit one track at the time.

Try cut one bar, going in to the chorus with 20 MIDI-tracks! It takes forever.

It should work like editing audio in my opinion.
Select regions, Press “B” and hit delete, WITH the notes following my edit.
Why would it NOT work that way? I don’t get it…
I understand why you would like a feature like this. But I don't see why it should take more than 10 seconds to do this with the way that Pro Tools is currently. When you go into notes view across all of your tracks, you can edit across all of the MIDI notes at the same time with commands such as B, A and S? Easy editing across a lot of tracks can be done in the Edit Window or in the MIDI Edit Window.

Here is a video demonstrating it:
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 09-09-2021, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I totally agree, but I'd take the simple B Separate working on notes within a clip as better than nothing. Ultimately, we need the prompt option that Logic has: "Do you want to keep, shorten, or split the notes that cross the point where the region is being split?"
I agree 110%
Old 09-09-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I understand why you would like a feature like this. But I don't see why it should take more than 10 seconds to do this with the way that Pro Tools is currently. When you go into notes view across all of your tracks, you can edit across all of the MIDI notes at the same time with commands such as B, A and S? Easy editing across a lot of tracks can be done in the Edit Window or in the MIDI Edit Window.

Here is a video demonstrating it:
Thank you for your video and effort.

Here's why this is not the answer for everyone:

For those who in film or TV, there can often be well over a hundred MIDI tracks. With 150 MIDI tracks in Notes view you completely lose sight of your orchestration. Everything becomes visually indecipherable. You can't see where phrases start or end, and you may not see some MIDI notes at all if they're not in scroll range.

Plus, a 10 second edit x the amount of times you'd have to do that in a day is an eternity when you're on a film or TV deadline. I want it to take 1 second, not 10.

But here's the kicker: throw a single audio track into the mix and this doesn't work at all. ‘B’ won’t work on MIDI tracks in Notes view if there also an audio track selected.

We need an easy solution like Logic's to edit both audio and MIDI tracks simultaneously.

Again:

"Do you want to keep, shorten, or split the notes that cross the point where the region is being split?"

Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 09-09-2021 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:09 AM

Quote:

For those who in film or TV, there can often be well over a hundred MIDI tracks. With 150 MIDI tracks in Notes view you completely lose sight of your orchestration. Everything becomes visually indecipherable. You can't see where phrases start or end, and you may not see some MIDI notes at all if they're not in scroll range.

Plus, a 10 second edit x the amount of times you'd have to do that in a day is an eternity when you're on a film or TV deadline. I want it to take 1 second, not 10.

But here's the kicker: throw a single audio track into the mix and this doesn't work at all. ‘B’ won’t work on MIDI tracks in Notes view if there also an audio track selected.

We need an easy solution like Logic's to edit both audio and MIDI tracks simultaneously.

Again:

"Do you want to keep, shorten, or split the notes that cross the point where the region is being split?"

I get it and you are 100% right. The feature should be there. There is a workaround that was posted earlier in this thread using a macro created with Keyboard Maestro. There should no need for workarounds for basic feature sets but at least one does exist that might work for you.

I'm in pop/rnb production (at least at the moment) and have been around since pt v5 as well, but for you guys, this and the sample rounding issue are critical...so I will lend my voice as well to the cause to make midi in PT better. Ej
Old 09-10-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Again:

I totally understand why you want this feature and agree it would be a necessary addition. I just hope it gets implemented in a way where you can also choose defaults so that you don’t have to deal with a pop up window every time you splice a MIDI clip. It would be nice to choose your preference and check a box that says don’t show this message again.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 09-10-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Again:

Exactly!!! Perfect scenario.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.