Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-09-2008, 12:03 PM

Default RTAS Delay Compensation

Hi,

are RTAS plug ins actually delay compensated? I always get the red delay compensation for RTAS and the number is quite larger than if I switch to TDM...

thanks,

t
12-Core Xeon 3.33, Antelope Audio Goliath, Logic, Live, PT12HD
Dual 2.7 G5, ProTools HD3, 2*192's, SSL Delta Link
iMac 3.0 , Abelton live
MacBook Pro, Logic X for Video
Old 07-09-2008, 12:15 PM

Default Re: RTAS Delay Compensation

Quote:
Hi,

are RTAS plug ins actually delay compensated? I always get the red delay compensation for RTAS and the number is quite larger than if I switch to TDM...

thanks,

t
Hi,

Yes RTAS are delay compensated! they will create much more delay than TDM! plus they are directly related to the size of your payback H/W buffer size. the larger the buffer size the bigger the delay caused by RTAS plugs.

Also placing them after TDM will cause greater delay! always place RTAS first if possible.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:38 PM

Ah! Okay, great - thanks for the info

t
iMac 3.0 , Abelton live
Old 07-09-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

thanks,

t
Hi,

Yes RTAS are delay compensated! they will create much more delay than TDM! plus they are directly related to the size of your payback H/W buffer size. the larger the buffer size the bigger the delay caused by RTAS plugs.

Also placing them after TDM will cause greater delay! always place RTAS first if possible.

Chris
Is RTAS also delay compensated if used on Aux Tracks, like Drums bussed to seperate aux tracks, I seem to have an issue when I do that...as in Drums bussed to 2 auxes...one compressed one clean...-> phaseing sound, so I always have to put both plug ins on each aux..

thanks,
t
iMac 3.0 , Abelton live
Old 07-10-2008, 11:50 AM

I use the Unequalizer plug in RTAS version on my dual G5 (along with other waves plug ins on the same aux) with minimal delay. When I bring the session to the mix stage and run it on the quad g5 the delay jumps up to 2000 samples. Why would it be longer on a more powerful cpu? I tried reorganizing them and changing the hw buffer but it didn't affect anything.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Is RTAS also delay compensated if used on Aux Tracks, like Drums bussed to seperate aux tracks, I seem to have an issue when I do that...as in Drums bussed to 2 auxes...one compressed one clean...-> phaseing sound, so I always have to put both plug ins on each aux..

thanks,
t
Hi,

Yes, aux's are delay compensated! But aux's will cause more delay with RTAS plugs than channels! providing your ADC readings are not red! you should be fine.

How are you routing the signal to the 2 busses? best way is to have both busses set to the same bus-input (drum bus, for example) But i have seen some people use sends to route the signals to the 2 different busses! and this is often the cause of phasing. sends don't seem to deal with ADC very well.

You can always put the same plugins on both busses, this will guarantee phase alignment. just bypass the parallel compressor on the clean bus.

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:01 PM

sorry to hijack this thread but delay compensation is extremely flawed. it makes life really easy sometimes and other times really confusing.

i was doing a mix OTB, where my snare was going down output 6, and i had a send outputting it down output 8 pre fader. Delay comp was on but they were not time-aligned. I had to put Timeadjuster on both master faders of 6 & 8 and shift one till it sounded the same as when the send output was muted.

ok so no worries there, other than its not doing what its supposed to do. So then i ask the question, does Delay compensation then adjust the rest of my drum tracks to compensate for the additional samples i've had to add to these masters? or are my snares now slightly out with the rest of my kit?

and this isn't the biggest issue.

what happens to the Automation when you've got massive delay compensation!!!????? you might as well guess where to put that plugin bypass. do i put it on the beat (where it should change) but then nudge it back the length of the total delay comp?? nope that doesn't work, as its way back in the delay comp chain at an incalculable time.

why cant they just write into the delay comp program to work with the automation, as we see it on the screen. life would be so much easier. its almost pointless using the visual tools that protools offers (like grid mode and waveform/region edit points) when delay compensation is on.

fman
Old 07-11-2008, 01:07 AM

Sends and output assignments have different delay, and since you're going OTB there's no way for Protools to compensate downstream. I often do what you're describing. My solution is to NOT use output assignments for stuff that goes to the console that needs a parallel - just use aux sends. One aux at unity gain to act as the main channel output (your snare on output 6 for example) which will simply echo the Protools fader automation by nature; the other parallel send (to output 8 for example) for however you want to automate it (sometimes I even make this one pre-fader)... This way they will be aligned.

Just set the channel's output assignment to some aux you're not using (dummy assignment)
Old 07-11-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
i have seen some people use sends to route the signals to the 2 different busses! and this is often the cause of phasing. sends don't seem to deal with ADC very well.
I'm confused.
Shouldn't ADC either work with sends or not...?

-Z-
Old 07-11-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I had to put Timeadjuster on both master faders of 6 & 8 and shift one till it sounded the same as when the send output was muted.
Danny Caccavo explains