Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 09-01-2021, 08:05 AM

Default Reason 12 Has Been Released

Reason Studios released version 12 today. You can upgrade from prior versions for $129, buy new for $399 if you're not a current user, or go the subscription route for $199 per year or $19.99 per month. The 3 big things in the upgrade are much improved graphics on the UI so you can see things much better, a hugely expanded and improved Combinator with lots more flexibility and ability to customize, and the addition of a new sampler, Mimic. Find out more here.

What has NOT yet been added is the ability to host VSTs in the rack when hosted in another DAW such as Pro Tools. Why they won't add that feature is still a mystery to me. Other than that, it does look like there's a lot of great new features and I'm sure many other things under the hood.

Personally I'm not making the jump from 11 just yet. Not because I don't think 12 will be really good, but because I need to upgrade my entire system first. I'm woefully out of date on computer power and my CPU just can't keep up with the higher demands the more recent plugins require. So, building a whole new PC is the first order of business, which I intend to do real soon. Then I'll decide what to do about updates/upgrades on a number of plugins and VI's.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Reason 12 Has Been Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
...building a whole new PC is the first order of business ...
Cool
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 09-01-2021, 11:56 AM

Personally I am not thinking of an upgrade. Version 11 finally brought the rewire-free functionality and it that stuff works on Apple Silicon it is enough. Not interested in new features and if it does not work on Apple Silicon then simply I will just stop using it.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Personally I am not thinking of an upgrade. Version 11 finally brought the rewire-free functionality and it that stuff works on Apple Silicon it is enough. Not interested in new features and if it does not work on Apple Silicon then simply I will just stop using it.

I'm on a PC system, so not familiar with the peculiarities of Apples. What I can say is that I've really enjoyed the new rack format where you can install the rack on an instrument track in PT just like any other VI. What you CAN'T do, though, is use Reason to host a VST in rack mode. That you can only do with Reason stand alone, still. I don't understand why that's the case. I would LOVE to use some of my VST versions of VI's inside the Combinator in Reason. Oh well. C'est la vie!

Old 09-04-2021, 04:51 AM

Quote:
I'm on a PC system, so not familiar with the peculiarities of Apples. What I can say is that I've really enjoyed the new rack format where you can install the rack on an instrument track in PT just like any other VI. What you CAN'T do, though, is use Reason to host a VST in rack mode. That you can only do with Reason stand alone, still. I don't understand why that's the case. I would LOVE to use some of my VST versions of VI's inside the Combinator in Reason. Oh well. C'est la vie!
I can't believe we still can't use vi's in the Rack when it's used in PT. This is why I haven't upgraded from R8.5. Speaking of upgrades there's nothing on the upgrade purchase page that says what you must have before upgrading like what's the minimum version?

Been going nuts trying to find a page on the Reason site that has a description of what's in R12. You know like the instruments & effects, features, etc. There's a page that talks about the Rack but not much more. If you have a link to such a page could you please post it?

QAPLA!
Old 09-04-2021, 10:18 AM

The new rack sizing in 2 flavors.
Rack VI
Rack FX
Solid
Old 09-06-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I can't believe we still can't use vi's in the Rack when it's used in PT. This is why I haven't upgraded from R8.5. Speaking of upgrades there's nothing on the upgrade purchase page that says what you must have before upgrading like what's the minimum version?

Been going nuts trying to find a page on the Reason site that has a description of what's in R12. You know like the instruments & effects, features, etc. There's a page that talks about the Rack but not much more. If you have a link to such a page could you please post it?

Jack - Here you go. And I totally agree, why you can't host VST versions of VI's in the rack is a mystery to me too. However, what you can do is use the rack to add some of the Reason FX after a VI on an instrument track, or use one or more of the players to control another VI on another track. But, yeah, they need to make it so VSTs can be hosted in the rack. Do that and Reason becomes the most powerful VI on the planet!

Old 09-06-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Jack - Here you go. And I totally agree, why you can't host VST versions of VI's in the rack is a mystery to me too. However, what you can do is use the rack to add some of the Reason FX after a VI on an instrument track, or use one or more of the players to control another VI on another track. But, yeah, they need to make it so VSTs can be hosted in the rack. Do that and Reason becomes the most powerful VI on the planet!
Thank you very much Donald - gives me something to look at. One more question if you please - how long is the $129 upgrade price good for? There's no indication that I can see; I'm hoping it'll be good past the 14th of this month as that's when my credit card billing period ends so if I buy on the 15th it'll be on the new billing.

I'm assuming being on 8.5 I'll qualify.

QAPLA!
Old 09-06-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
why you can't host VST versions of VI's in the rack is a mystery to me too
Avid has blocked AU/VST wrappers for the same reason why Avid insists on AAX, which is copy protection. 'nuff said. There are ways to host them, but they are not made easy to develop. Perhaps the most well known wrapper/host is Kontakt, but Avid has made sure with NI that the copy protection holds.

Of course the official reason is that because of the control surfaces, Avid needs to be able to design how plugin automation goes with them.

As they say, trust is good but control is better.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Thank you very much Donald - gives me something to look at. One more question if you please - how long is the $129 upgrade price good for? There's no indication that I can see; I'm hoping it'll be good past the 14th of this month as that's when my credit card billing period ends so if I buy on the 15th it'll be on the new billing.

I'm assuming being on 8.5 I'll qualify.

AFAIK, the upgrade price remains the same and from any prior version, as I understand it. But, don't quote me on that. I haven't seen otherwise.