Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-04-2008, 09:08 AM

Default What changes are "under the hood" of PT8?

Digidesign,

A lot is said about the new GUI, and other things that are readily seen, but what new things are there 'under the hood' of the latest PT release?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Avid

Default Re: What changes are "under the hood" of PT8?

That would depend on how 'under the hood' you're talking about. We're always making improvements when we get the opportunity or where feature implementation dictates.

Is there something you're looking for in particular?
Old 10-06-2008, 12:45 PM

OK...I'll bite:

1. Are there any improvements in RTAS efficiency? RTAS does have a (deserved) reputation of being less efficient than AU or VST: fewer plugins per given CPU.

2. Any improvements in multiple CPU balancing? (although I understand that the OS is a big factor in balancing across multiple CPUs - because Logic doesn't even balance across 8 CPUs well)

3. Has the waveform drawing bug been addressed?

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:50 PM

Offline bouncing would be very handy?

Waveform issue resolved?

Oh, and buffer errors on first launch when using sample based VI's.

Cheers
Old 10-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilliam View Post
OK...I'll bite:

1. Are there any improvements in RTAS efficiency? RTAS does have a (deserved) reputation of being less efficient than AU or VST: fewer plugins per given CPU.

2. Any improvements in multiple CPU balancing? (although I understand that the OS is a big factor in balancing across multiple CPUs - because Logic doesn't even balance across 8 CPUs well)

3. Has the waveform drawing bug been addressed?
1. Yes, but maybe not quite as extensive as you (or we) would like yet. It's an ongoing process and there are several factors that come into play that we don't necessarily have control over.

2. What are you seeing that causes you to question this? There should be no issues with CPU balancing beyond issues with non fully RTAS optimized code in plug-ins. That is something only plug-in manufacturers can address.

3. Yes! - I'm going to say that with the caveat that the fix has not been fully tested yet, but I can't imagine this going out without a solid fix. We're also hoping to roll this into a cs release for previous versions.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:22 PM

Thanks! All good info.

Actually, PT seems to balance across my 2 G5s just fine - even with 10.4.11. I had the impression (maybe mistakenly) that the quad and 8 CPU Macs weren't balancing well across all 4/8 with PTLE. However, that MAY just be an..err..uh LP8 issue (a single CPU spiking way early, for instance).

I did read that OS 10.6 is supposed to improve load balancing across multiple cores/cpu's, so I deduced that the OS is at least a factor.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougfather View Post
Oh, and buffer errors on first launch when using sample based VI's.
Glad to know it's not just me who gets these buffer errors. Seems strange how they only occur on the first playback attempt after loading a session. It's easy to work around but a fix would be great
Old 10-07-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
2. What are you seeing that causes you to question this? There should be no issues with CPU balancing beyond issues with non fully RTAS optimized code in plug-ins. That is something only plug-in manufacturers can address.
I seem to have problems using all 8 processors in my Mac Pro 8 core (10GB RAM). The performance is worse than when set to 1 processor!

I currently have it set to 7 and it seems ok, but still spikes randomly.

Is this just me?
Old 10-07-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfavedave View Post
I seem to have problems using all 8 processors in my Mac Pro 8 core (10GB RAM). The performance is worse than when set to 1 processor!

I currently have it set to 7 and it seems ok, but still spikes randomly.

Is this just me?
No, it's the same for me