Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2003, 02:56 PM

Default Sends, pre-post fader?

When I open the sends view the pre button is gray(same as background). When I click it it turns white. When it's white, does that mean it's in post fader mode? I've never done this. Does that mean I've been doing all of my effect sends in pre fader mode? I am lead to beleive that it's correct to do effect sends in post fader. Somebody help me out. I'm dyin' over here.

Thanks~Tito
Old 11-22-2003, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Sends, pre-post fader?

I believe that when you click Pre in a Send that your Send is Pre fader. You can check by observing the level of the Send. If the level changes with the movement of the fader, your Send is post fader. Conversely, with the Pre engaged, the level of your Send should not change with the movement of your fader.
az
Old 11-22-2003, 03:06 PM

Obviously, there's no right or wrong as far as pre/post sends (although perhaps it's most typical for FX sends to be post-fader, and cue mix sends to be pre, for example) - it just depends on what you're trying to achieve.
When the Pre button is highlighted ("white", as you describe it) this Send is pre-fader - otherwise it's post by default. You've been using post-fader sends to your reverbs & delays so far, and that is indeed the most common method. OTOH, if for some reason you DO want this gtr/vocal track to keep bangin' into the reverb even when you pull the fader down (or remain at the same level for your performer's cue mix even if you mute or change volume on the track while monitoring in the control room), then make the send pre-fader.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:16 PM

on is prefader. If you're confused, turn the send up with the fader down. If nothing goes out the send, it's in post fader mode.

No rules really, however generally effects are post fader. Monitoring sends would always be pre.