Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-15-2001, 07:05 AM

Default DVD Surround and stereo files, mastering, xp

Hi guys!

Is there a solution for DVD videos with 5.1 Audio and the digi001?

Is it possible to get stereo files under PT LE (direct, without bouncing) for mastering? Or does anyone know a mastering programm (I used wavelab) that supports the Digi digital input and CD burning?

Are their already Drivers for Windows XP?

THX!
Old 10-16-2001, 12:13 AM

Default Re: DVD Surround and stereo files, mastering, xp

Hi,

I can't answer all your questions but as someone working in 5:1 I'll add a few! And hopefully provide some useful comments on this topic.

Programs to encode to 5:1 digital - there are only a few, and for Pro Tools non-TDM users they're stand-alone. Sound Forge used to make one, but when I enquired of the company they gave me a lengthy and spin-doctory reply about "not fitting in with their current strategic aims" etc, but there are copies out there of "Soft Encode" if you ask around.
This program will allow you to create AC3 files. BUT beware, and here is my question based on a recent experience:

I mastered a surround sound session for DVD, and 5:1 encoded the AC3 version at the highest bit-rate (640 I think) HOWEVER, the DVD mastering studio phoned me with the client at hand to inform me that the bit-rate was TOO high. Now, I was under the impression that DVD had plenty of capacity for fast streaming of audio, especially since the video in question was a mere three minutes long! I have to check this with other facilities but in the meantime I have to re-encode at 256 and/or 448 to be safe. This reduces the audio bandwdith to as little as 15K. Now that is not what DVDs are for in my book.

There is very little info - or at least easily accessible info about what the authoring houses want in technical spec. I had simply been told 48K, 16 bit AC3, no streaming bit-rate was specified. I suspect that some of these facilities (and certainly the one my client went to) are in the dark themselves. The engineer told me that he'd never done 5:1 before, but would call me back when he'd spoken to someone about the problem. He'd tried to import my AC3 and the program told him the bit-rate was "outside the boundaries". OK, I need to research more thoroughly the spec needed, and no doubt will find the answer buried in all the technical jargon somewhere, but it is not mentioned in the Manual for the Soft Encode program, or rather, one is informed that these different bit-rates are available, but no more than that. Nothing about which application need which rate etc.

There is also Minnetonka's Surcode DVD which will create Dolby .DTS files, as well as a .Wav file which you can burn onto a normal CD and play back on an audio CD player that has a digital output. Send that digital output to the digital input of a decoder amplifier (now from about 150 UK pounds) and you'll hear your surround sound audio. Don't turn up your analogue input or you'll hear a lot of horrid noise. But this way you can check that your 5:1 works, and in several different locations if you have friends with Home Theatre type set-ups. I've no idea why the .DTS file cannot be used for mastering to DVD - it may be a limitation of the Program being used in this instance, I thought .DTS was THE format.

Back to your question, which seems like three seperate questions. I have found for 5:1 that Logic Audio is brilliant. Surround panning, unavailable in Pro Tools PC LE, will provide the seperate audio files needed for encoding when you do a bounce down. I don't understand what you mean by stereo mastering that supports the Digi digital input, but if you have Wavelab you have a great mastering program, look no further. Bounce to disk using PT then import to Wavelab for mastering - or at least burning to CD. There should be no reason why you cannot "master" in PT, it really depends on the material and which plug-ins you have.

Sorry I've written this in a bit of a hurry and not been as clear as I might, but I'd welcome a discussion on the topic of 5:1 as it is the most important development in audio production since stereo. It is a very exciting field, once you've mixed to surround you'll not want to go back to stereo!

Comments, suggestions from others working in 5:1 please. bear in mind that DVD authoring is now where CD mastering/burning was only a few years ago. DVD will explode as a Home Production tool for video as well as audio, so get smart! - Unless of course Sony/Philips or whoever are going to make it redundent before it's even got going.

Now I'm going to visit the Surround Sound section of this forum and see whether I can glean some info - I hadn't bothered before because I was having to use Logic for this purpose, but after this DVD autthoring problem it now seems likely that there'll be someone who can answer these questions.

Simon Scardanelli
Old 10-16-2001, 04:45 AM

THX, for your Infos. Maybe I have to describe my problems better:

1)My DVD problem is, that I want to listen / see DVD´s with my PC and use the DIGI01 as Output for 5.1. I didn´t find a solution for that, yet. (I´ll try something with the programms you mentioned)

2)Mastering: I have long DAT Mastering tapes (about 1-2 houers) wich are OK. I´m just trying to burn them on CD with wavelab. I don´t want to use PT LE, wait an houer to get the tape an PC, the wait another houer bounce the two files to one stereo file. I hope to find a better (I´m not sure if there can be quality loss by bouncing) / faster solution.

3) Id´like to try Logic, maybe there´s less trouble than with Pro tools. Hows the Audio quality? I thing, that the Equalizers for example sound better in PT than in Wavelab?!
Old 10-29-2001, 10:39 AM

Hey! Does noone know more about this? Even the digidesign support does not answer my questions! It´s a pitty!!! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2001, 11:18 AM

1. Get Soundblaster Live! it supports 5.1 output.

2. Digi001 allows digial in from your DAT. You'll have to parse it down anyway to fit on CD's. An a coule hours are no big deal if you've waited two weeks for an answer.

3. Don't know about the last question, sorry.
Old 10-29-2001, 05:53 PM

This is for scardanelli or anyone who knows!!

Hey, I want to setup my system For 5.1
I'm running a Dell P4 2.0Ghz with 512Mb of Ram and 2 100Gb Hard drives.

What do I have to do to configue the digi-001 to Mix in 5.1 even though it does'nt support it?, besides buying 5 speakers and a sub.

Thanks