Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2019, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Missing delay compensation for side chains - is it unworkable?

Any clever salesman will gladly sell you a turnkey system and more
Old 02-10-2019, 05:15 AM

FWIW I wouldn't bother getting anything DSP unless you do a lot of multitrack recording and need the low latency for monitoring purposes. In my experience the combination of DSP and Native for mixing (and even overdubbing to some extent) is nothing short of a major headache, e.g. worrying about which combination of plugins is most efficient, and in which order, or worrying about how many voices are being eaten up with a number of DSP-Native combos. Dreadful way of working really. HD Native has few limitations and I've found it a lot faster to get mixes going.

BUT...I do like to use side-chaining in mixing. Not for the "pumping" especially (not my bag really), but e.g. side-chaining eqs, dynamic compressors, or whatever using the vocal as the SC source. Now these things aren't usually as time-critical as the "pumping" effect so it doesn't tend to worry me, but I do get into trouble if I'm e.g. sidechaining a "real" kick against a sampled one in order to clean up the mess of a recording, or whatever. The only real solution I've found in this case is to use the lowest latency plug-ins going, and either "freezing" the track once it's sorted, or freezing the plug-in that starts to push latency to an unacceptable standard. It's not great as a workaround, especially if you find yourself having to unfreeze things in order to tweak stuff, but on the whole it works for me. YMMV...!

The sooner the whole S/C mess is sorted the better really.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:26 AM

Well, I have no problem getting the hardware only, since I have an active subscription for Ultimate, but maybe Janne was talking about Digilink-licenses or something like that?

I'm not sure, what those are, but I think they are necessary only, if you're using third-party I/O-interfaces, right?
Old 02-10-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Any clever salesman will gladly sell you a turnkey system and more
IF you go through a salesperson. You look at the websites and they show no combos. I generally prefer not working with a salesdroid if I can help it.

QAPLA!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
I do like to use side-chaining in mixing. Not for the "pumping" especially
Me too, but I'd get a little paranoid of things becoming out of sync, if I know, it's not automatically compensated for.

I'm really not keen on getting HDX, but if this is the only way to ensure full ADC, I might consider it.

Does freezing of the latency inducing plugins really help? If so, that might be a little more elegant that duplicating tracks around.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyko76 View Post
Well, I have no problem getting the hardware only, since I have an active subscription for Ultimate, but maybe Janne was talking about Digilink-licenses or something like that?

I'm not sure, what those are, but I think they are necessary only, if you're using third-party I/O-interfaces, right?
You need the Digilink license asset on your iLok even when using Avid interfaces.

QAPLA!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:

Nowadays the digilink is necessary for avid interfaces too, but with avid interface you should get the license included in the interface price, right?
Old 02-10-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Me too, but I'd get a little paranoid of things becoming out of sync, if I know, it's not automatically compensated for..
Yes totally feel your pain on this.

Quote:
Does freezing of the latency inducing plugins really help? If so, that might be a little more elegant that duplicating tracks around.
Depends on exactly what you're doing of course, but give it a go and see if it works for you. Freezing is also a major PITA if you want to do anything like major structural edits to a track (something I like to do when I'm feeling particularly alpha )
Old 02-10-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
IF you go through a salesperson. You look at the websites and they show no combos. I generally prefer not working with a salesdroid if I can help it.
Most of the times i call my man who discounts me 10% with no questions asked and sometimes more. Saves me tons of hassle
Old 02-10-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Freezing is also a major PITA if you want to do anything like major structural edits to a track
Absolutely! I'm also very ambitious considering on the fly re-arrangements!