Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-21-2011, 06:51 PM

Default Pro tools 9 crashes at startup "Bus error" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

You guys are awesome, and I've solved so many problems before by just reading your advice. I hope you can help with this one too!

I have just installed Pro tools 9 as a crossgrade from Pro tools 8 LE. When I click on PT9 to start it, it gets to the point where it says "Video Engine failed to initialise" and then it returns the following error message:

"Bus error" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

and the program crashes.

I have found a couple of instances of this error message on the DUC, but can't seem to find one which matches my situation.

In addition to the software/hardware setup I've filled in, I have an owc firewire drive connected (formatted the pro tools-friendly way). I also have an externally powered USB hub for my ilok and midi keyboard. I've tried disconnecting that and just putting the ilok straight into the laptop. Still didn't work.

I have thrashed preferences and repaired disk permissions too, also to no avail.

I also decided to try uninstalling and re-installing PT9 BUT the uninstaller crashes too! So I can't even try a fresh install now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 9 crashes at startup "Bus error" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

oops just noticed you can't see my system, here it is:

MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 13
RAM 4GB
OSX 10.6.6
Mbox2
Pro Tools 9.0.5 + latest mbox2 drivers
Old 09-26-2011, 04:49 PM

Thumbs up Re: Pro tools 9 crashes at startup "Bus error" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

SOLVED.

Backed up my stuff and did a full erase and install of the operating system. Installed 9.0.2 just in case it was the version, and am slowly re-introducing peripherals and plug-ins.

All good so far! And now I can sneak a little composition in in work