Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-16-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Lexicon RTAS plug in

Anyone know if the new Lexicon MX200 (Not the MPX200) will work with the VST-RTAS wrapper? I'm sure the plug-in would still open, but I'm wonder if the external processing would still function. It would be nice to have a Lex reverb that acts as a plug-in but does the processing in a hardware unit. I'm sick of DVerb and would like to be able to run reverbs without taxing the CPU. Has anyone heard it? Does it sound good?
Anyone heard the new Wizooverb? Only 200$ for a convolution reverb sounds too good to be true.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Lexicon RTAS plug in

I know the TC Powercore works with a vst-rtas wrapper. Supposedly with pretty awesome results. So I would imagine that any VST would work.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:50 PM

I've answered my own question actually, but this might be of use to others as well. The Lexicon MX200 has a USB port on it that connects to your computer. There is a VST plug-in (that I will assume works with the wrapper) that provides an interface to edit the parameters on the hardware unit. The USB carries no audio however, just the control information...which means that you can automate the parameters of the MX200 hardware just as you could an actual plug-in. The actual audio must still be connected via analog or SPDIF (44.1 or 48). I don't know about anyone else, but this seems like a very cool concept. Being able to edit parameters on a hardware unit with a plug-in interface combines the best of both worlds. The ease of plug-ins with the processing power and better sound of a hardware unit.
The best (or worst) part is that the thing only costs 200 bucks. I'll have to hear it first, but if it even resembles the quality that I've come to expect from Lexicon I'll run out and buy one. Anyone heard/used one yet? How does it compare to other Lex units/other soft reverbs?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:46 PM

Hey man keep me posted on how the thingsounds. This sounds like it would be a good investment if its any kinda good ( i think the delays and such would be an even better value than the verbs)
Old 06-16-2005, 04:07 PM

While I've been out of the loop for a couple of years while traveling...

I'd been successfully running a Lexicon MPX 500 hardware effects unit as a 'plug-in' for years prior.

1) Stuck the hardware MPX 500 on the S/PDIF I/O.

2) Labelled the S/PDIF insert as "MPX 500".

3) Created a Patch Name Document (OMS at the time) to contain all the MPX 500's Preset Names.

Even the MPX 500 front panel knob can be controlled via MIDI, allowing you to 'draw' their parameters in a MIDI track in the Pro Tools Edit window.

Worked a treat. Calling up preset names in a flash automatically from within Pro Tools, and running reverb as an digital insert on an aux track to save on CPU.

The result: 32 tracks, and up to around 35 plug-ins on a measley 450MHz G4. Terrific!

From what I can tell, all this new MX 200 offers is a prettier on-screen editor, however, the editing I spoke of with my MPX 500 is no diffrent then drawing in pan or volume levels that you're already familiar with. As far as the 'insert' side of things go, the set-up is identical. The hardware device becomes part of the digital environment, but without the tax on the CPU.

Not dismissing this new device, only to say that the concept has been around for years and is very successful in operation.

Phil
Old 06-16-2005, 05:04 PM

I love my 500! There is not one plug-in that comes close to an actual Lexchip, even their own. Also, damn sight cheaper than software, wrappers, and a rack mountable box that is a PC, a nice name on the front, and some, not much, preinstalled software. I bought an MPX500, two TLA5051s, and a Joe Meek VC2, for 500 quid less than the TC Powercore+Software+Wrapper.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:31 PM

Yes. much luv for the MPX500 here too. I have mine hooked via midi, for beat clock sync and sysex dumps.

rock

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 06-17-2005, 10:50 AM

Quote:
While I've been out of the loop for a couple of years while traveling...

I'd been successfully running a Lexicon MPX 500 hardware effects unit as a 'plug-in' for years prior.

1) Stuck the hardware MPX 500 on the S/PDIF I/O.

2) Labelled the S/PDIF insert as "MPX 500".

3) Created a Patch Name Document (OMS at the time) to contain all the MPX 500's Preset Names.

Even the MPX 500 front panel knob can be controlled via MIDI, allowing you to 'draw' their parameters in a MIDI track in the Pro Tools Edit window.

Worked a treat. Calling up preset names in a flash automatically from within Pro Tools, and running reverb as an digital insert on an aux track to save on CPU.

The result: 32 tracks, and up to around 35 plug-ins on a measley 450MHz G4. Terrific!

From what I can tell, all this new MX 200 offers is a prettier on-screen editor, however, the editing I spoke of with my MPX 500 is no diffrent then drawing in pan or volume levels that you're already familiar with. As far as the 'insert' side of things go, the set-up is identical. The hardware device becomes part of the digital environment, but without the tax on the CPU.

Not dismissing this new device, only to say that the concept has been around for years and is very successful in operation.

Phil

I realized that this was possible shortly after I posted. I guess I just got caught up in the marketing. If the thing sounds good though, I'd still like to get one. Lexichip for 200, seems like a good deal...plus the interface will still be a nice plus.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:08 AM

Hey there,

Speaking of the almighty MPX 500...

While my Digi001 refuses to get on nicely with my iBook (and never will), I've been running my MPX 500 off my (analogue) mixer's aux sends/return to keep me entertained until my Digi002 upgrade.

It's surprisingly noisy, and then some, depending on the preset that's in use.

Have you guys noticed similar?

Not something I picked up on S/PDIF, yet if the 'preset that's in use' affects the noise factor, it makes me wonder if it's more than noisy DA converters and/or preamps.

Phil
Old 06-18-2005, 06:52 AM

I got an MPX1 instead and i'm sooo glad. Much more pro than the MPX500. The only downside to the Lexi units is using them Live is a drag if you try to switch patches.

I'm looking at getting a Yamaha REV-5 and a few other Lexicon ones to round out my inserts at mixtime.