Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2016, 01:20 AM

Default Surround Setup

Hello ,
i have m audio 2626 and 5 monitor krk rokit 8 and 1 sub krk k10s
i'm using pro tools 10.3.7 HD Version
i have some questions
can i connect the speakers and the sub with the 2626 and stating mixing 5.1
what about the sub it will connect separately with the interface or with the LR
and when i need to mix as a stereo session how i can use the sub ??
Old 09-27-2016, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Surround Setup

Hi

How is your setup? Which ilok key do you use? How is the interface connected?
Why don't you try the latest 10HD version from your avid account?

The more info the better we can help here.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-27-2016, 02:03 AM

Hi
i'm using PT 10.3.7 HD
but i'm asking how i can use the sub over in 5.1 mix and stereo mix in the same system
Old 09-27-2016, 08:13 AM

This is kind of a loaded question because the answer can depend on your preference on how you like to arrange your output routing and can also depend on what type of project you are working on and if who you are delivering your finished product to specifics a certain track order. For instance if delivering for video the 5.1 format may need to be L C R Ls Rs Lfe. If doing film or audio only it might be L R Ls Rs C Lfe. That being said here are a couple of routing scenarios. The easiest to go back and forth between 5.1 and stereo would be to route the 5.1 out as L R Ls Rs C Lfe. That way your channel 1 and 2 out of your interface is left and right for both 5.1 and stereo without any patching needed. In this configuration you can go into your KRK subwoofer left and right ins from 1 and 2 out of your audio interface with its crossover point set at 80 Hz or wherever you want it and let the sub act as a self contained 2.1 bass management system and use the footswitch to toggle the sub on and off for comparison. My JBL LSR12 also has a dedicated Lfe xlr input that when you use the footswitch will change the Lfe in a 5.1 setup to bypass the left and right inputs on the sub so it is no longer being used as bass management and is only Lfe input for mixing 5.1 low frequency sound effects through it which is a nice feature. I don't know if your KRK functions that way or not. I don't believe the KRK has inputs for Ls Rs and C so in a 5.1 mix you would not have those channels included if you want to compare between bass management and no bass management. In a L C R Ls Rs Lfe output from channels 1-6 of your audio interface I have found when I go to do a stereo mix I have to turn the power off on my center monitor or it plays along with the left and right monitors probably because I can route the center channel through my JBL sub also. There will be others who can give advice or have other opinions because there are many ways to configure 5.1 but this is my take on it. I hope it helps.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.f View Post
Hi
i'm using PT 10.3.7 HD
but i'm asking how i can use the sub over in 5.1 mix and stereo mix in the same system
Hi,
I am a little confused. How can you use the m audio 2626 and PT|HD in V10? Don't you need a 192 or Avid IO for PT10 HD?

You want to use the sub for 5.1 and stereo? For stereo, you need bass redirect. So you need a monitor controller, or sub+satellite system that will take the sub info from the stereo pair.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 09-27-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.f View Post
Hello ,
i have m audio 2626 and 5 monitor krk rokit 8 and 1 sub krk k10s
i'm using pro tools 10.3.7 HD Version
i have some questions
can i connect the speakers and the sub with the 2626 and stating mixing 5.1
what about the sub it will connect separately with the interface or with the LR
and when i need to mix as a stereo session how i can use the sub ??
If this is for Television, disregard the sub for Stereo.
I no longer use bass management. Just full range left and right.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Hi,
I am a little confused. How can you use the m audio 2626 and PT|HD in V10? Don't you need a 192 or Avid IO for PT10 HD?
Pro Tools has been able to use core audio with PTHD since version 9. When they did away with Pro Tools LE and the hardware dependency, they opened up core audio for both vanilla and HD.

I used to have a 2626 and it is a decent little interface. Your sub doesn't have a LFE input. It is made to automatically bass manage the L and R speakers, plugging it into the interface and your speakers into it. You won't want to hook it up this way. Take a direct feed from your interface to all 5 of your speakers and another to the sub.

You'll probably want to either not bass manage at all or bass manage at least your LCR, if not all your speakers. Since you'll want this flexibility you'll need a monitor controller of some sort, if you want a hardware option. You could also look into figuring this out with auxes and sends within Pro Tools. Another option would be the Waves 360 bundle that has plugins for controlling your bass management usage.

Good luck
Old 09-29-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Smith View Post
Pro Tools has been able to use core audio with PTHD since version 9. When they did away with Pro Tools LE and the hardware dependency, they opened up core audio for both vanilla and HD.

I used to have a 2626 and it is a decent little interface. Your sub doesn't have a LFE input. It is made to automatically bass manage the L and R speakers, plugging it into the interface and your speakers into it. You won't want to hook it up this way. Take a direct feed from your interface to all 5 of your speakers and another to the sub.

You'll probably want to either not bass manage at all or bass manage at least your LCR, if not all your speakers. Since you'll want this flexibility you'll need a monitor controller of some sort, if you want a hardware option. You could also look into figuring this out with auxes and sends within Pro Tools. Another option would be the Waves 360 bundle that has plugins for controlling your bass management usage.

Good luck
Old 09-29-2016, 04:53 AM

Hi,
thnx for ur advice
i'm getting a SPL Surround Controller to be in safe but i'm wondering can i connect the SPL with profire by S-Dub cable ?
Old 09-29-2016, 04:55 AM

Hi,
thnx for ur advice
i'm getting a SPL Surround Controller to be in safe but i'm wondering can i connect the SPL with profire by S-Dub cable ?