Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2012, 09:44 AM

Default Re: AVID Selling M-Audio and Pinnicle Lines!!!

This kind of corporate instability and confusion among the user base cannot help Avid's bottom line. Who in their right mind would plunk down 5 figures on an AAX system for a company that might not even be around in a year?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
This kind of corporate instability and confusion among the user base cannot help Avid's bottom line. Who in their right mind would plunk down 5 figures on an AAX system for a company that might not even be around in a year?
Well, I wouldn't go that far.

Two reasons:

1. If anything, this sale has ensured Avid's commitment to pushing out the pro line of products. We have to remember that Pro Tools is not Avid's bread and butter. It's Media Composer. Engineers may debate about whether or not Pro Tools is still the choice of the industry, but have you ever heard of a commercial movie that was edited in Premiere? Avid's not going anywhere just yet.

2. If it comes down to it, someone will buy Pro Tools. It's been such a huge part of the industry for so long, and so many (especially post) studios depend on it. If Avid folds, someone will either buy them as a whole, or Media Composer and Pro Tools will get sold off to the highest bidders. It could spell eventual defeat in the end, but there's no way PT or MC will simply drop out of existence if Avid does.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-03-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Well, I wouldn't go that far.

Two reasons:

1. If anything, this sale has ensured Avid's commitment to pushing out the pro line of products.
I don't buy that. I see no evidence of that. I see Avid selling off components and cutting staff. Those are the only actions we know are happening. The rest is corporate double-speak and I give to credence to it.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I don't buy that. I see no evidence of that. I see Avid selling off components and cutting staff. Those are the only actions we know are happening. The rest is corporate double-speak and I give to credence to it.
I'm not reading the corporate double-speak, I'm reading the obvious signs.

First, corporations cut staff all the time. Big corporations, small corporations, successful ones, and unsuccessful ones. Anyone who does regular corporate work has probably been laid off at some point in their careers, especially in the past few years. I know I have. It's how they survive. I've already expressed my opinions on letting go of valuable staff, but at the end of the day... It's about the bottom line. You can choose to make a profit, or you can choose to fade away. That's how it works, unfortunately.

Second, they sold off entirely their consumer lines of products, and kept all of the pro ones. Pro Tools, and Media Composer. No more M-Powered, no more M-Audio, no more iPad apps, no more small stuff. Imagine if Apple dropped the iPhone and instead dedicated themselves to making Macs again. Maybe they wouldn't make as much money, but you could be sure we'd see a Mac Pro that rocks. Hopefully, the same thing happens with Pro Tools now that Avid is dedicating resources to fewer products.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-03-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Well spoken. This is all that is for sure known. Layoffs. Sale offs. And Silver Tongues.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:54 AM

Masterlist, SampleCell, etc ...

there is a track record of what someone said earlier ... Promote, Hype, drop support ... these products are not cheap - like 500.00 a pop ...

so AIR, this may be a good thing ... how would you like to be able to use Velvet in Logic or Cubendo ...

the drag is that any bugs will never be worked out ...

lets hope our new AIR folks will give us some big love ... i welcome them with open arms and my fingers crossed ... positive vibes man !!!

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 07-03-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
... but have you ever heard of a commercial movie that was edited in Premiere?
Not many, but there are some, including portions of the huge hit Avatar.

But Media Composer ain't going anywhere.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 07-03-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I'm not reading the corporate double-speak, I'm reading the obvious signs.

First, corporations cut staff all the time. Big corporations, small corporations, successful ones, and unsuccessful ones. Anyone who does regular corporate work has probably been laid off at some point in their careers, especially in the past few years. I know I have. It's how they survive. I've already expressed my opinions on letting go of valuable staff, but at the end of the day... It's about the bottom line. You can choose to make a profit, or you can choose to fade away. That's how it works, unfortunately.

Second, they sold off entirely their consumer lines of products, and kept all of the pro ones. Pro Tools, and Media Composer. No more M-Powered, no more M-Audio, no more iPad apps, no more small stuff. Imagine if Apple dropped the iPhone and instead dedicated themselves to making Macs again. Maybe they wouldn't make as much money, but you could be sure we'd see a Mac Pro that rocks. Hopefully, the same thing happens with Pro Tools now that Avid is dedicating resources to fewer products.
Strangely they did keep the fast track line and the mbox line (mbox 3 pro makes sense, but fast track?) I guess iNMusic didn't want them since they have something similar in their product line except for the mbox pr 3 they don't have something similar to that.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-04-2012, 02:21 AM

[QUOTE=dave911;1945391]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
Thank GOD!!! Kirk Arnold, in my opinion anyway, was a huge factor in the decline of the company. Her specialty is outsourcing. Which Avid has been finding out doesn't work for that well for proprietary software. for standard run of the mill things like banking software, it's fine (Arnold came from Fidelity). But for Professional Audio and Video workstations, it's not so good.QUOTE]

Yes, Gary too!
No vision from the top down.
Sorry, you all know I'm no Avid stooge, but these statements couldn't be further from the truth, we may not like or agree with a lot of what they do, but the whole vision to unlock Pro Tools from Avid hardware was driven by Gary and Kirk.

Happy for you to criticize Avid (I run a blog doing it) but get your facts straight please.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:16 AM

Default Re: AVID Selling M-Audio and Pinnacle Lines!!!

I am deeply concerned about the future of avid and our beloved pro tools. have a look at the pro tools expert blog. one guy after the other seems to leave the company. m-audio sold, air group sold, sibelius uk shut down. what is going on here? my deepest concerns to all the people loosing their jobs and to the costumers who invested in the new pro tools hdx system.