Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2011, 07:32 PM

Default Protools 10 upgrade (imac-macbook pro)

Hello guys, I am asking this question on behave of another person who does not speak english.

Now, this is the situation:

Currently, he has PT9 working on an imac. He plans to buy PT10, aslo a macbook pro.

what is the best way to do it, having a desktop (imac) and a protable laptop (macbook pro) with one copy of PT10 upgrade?

or, would it be better to buy one PT10 full version?

with the upgrade, will he need to go around carrying the ilock if he is using the macbook at another place, and bring back the ilock to use the imac (home).

----
additional questions:
how can he install PT10 upgrade in lion (mac book pro), does he has to fist install 9, and go on?
does lion supports PT10?

thanks guys,

I know these questions could be a little boring.

tried to go and get answers from the web, but, english is not our strong area,

thanks,
Old 12-07-2011, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Protools 10 upgrade (imac-macbook pro)

As far as I am aware you can install PT10 on as many systems as you wish to as it is only possible to run it when the authorized ilok is connected to that system.

If you disconnect the ilok then unlike previous versions (which would continue to run until it was reconnected), PT10 will ask you to reinsert the ilok to save the document that is currently open.

PT10 runs on Lion very well.

Not sure about the install question. I'd expect a full installer to be available to you once you have upgraded. As the PT9 full installer has issues on Lion.

For the record this exactly the position I am in. I have an imac with Pt10 and a MacBook Pro also with PT10, they both run flawlessly while the ilok is connected and prompt for it to be inserted if I remove it while PT10 is running.

Hope this helps your friend.

Ceri
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 12-08-2011, 02:54 PM

Ok perfect. I completely understood what you are saying.

Thanks for the answer.

Now, the only missing part is what you mentioned. If I buy the upgrade, will it bring pt10 full installer? He is running leopard on the iMac, so a regular upgrade won't be a problem. However, with the new MacBook pro running lion, is a bad idea to I inatall 9 and upgrade to 10.

How can we know if it would bring the full installer? Or can he do (MacBook pro) Pt9 installation and then Upgrade to 10?

Thanks man for the patience, really appreciate it.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:55 PM

All versions of PT10 come with a full installer.