Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2021, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

The whole point is go subscription now and keep up while the going is good now. If you decide to let your perpetual lapse you’re stuck on an older system. There’s no telling if they decide to cut off extensions in the future for perpetual owners. They’re going towards the subscription model similar to other companies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
So my perpetual vanilla is coming due. If I buy into this sub, my perpet lapses unless I pay for it as well, is that correct? If it lapses what do I have to pay to reinstate in a year?

There are no reinstatement plans anymore. You’ll be buying a new license at full price.

You may be lucky and find a reseller with old reinstatement plans in there stock pile, but I dare say they’re becoming harder to come by.

Personally, I’d not risk it and renew your perpetual license. Forget about the subscription until you (we) are forced into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2021, 05:27 AM

It all depends on how much you are willing to pay to keep current?

As I mentioned, I was not finding value for money so didn't bother renewing Vanilla just over a year ago. If I make it through another year without forking out that will be $400 saved.

As it is you can buy a new perpetual license and a year's upgrades (worth $200) for $600.

Who knows where we will be in another year or two time. Avid can keep on trying to force us all to subscription but I won't be obliging. Maybe they will come to their senses? Or maybe it will get worse and they'll stop selling perpetual licenses all together? Either way I won't be in a rush to pay the annual Avid tax until it comes back down to $99 max or indeed they return to optional paid upgrades.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 09-30-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Or maybe it will get worse and they'll stop selling perpetual licenses all together?
Stephen
That's their planning actually...
The first step was to kill the reinstatement plans. Done.
Next step is to stop selling perpetual licenses, will be achieved till the end of this year.
This offer, is a just a bait for perpetual license holders, to smooth out the transition to subscription, when there will be no perpetual anymore.

Cheers!
Old 09-30-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
That's their planning actually...
The first step was to kill the reinstatement plans. Done.
Next step is to stop selling perpetual licenses, will be achieved till the end of this year.
This offer, is a just a bait for perpetual license holders, to smooth out the transition to subscription, when there will be no perpetual anymore.

Cheers!
Unless you are sitting in on the board meetings It seems pure Speculation duth abound

Sure they could be trying to move to subscription only But that is speculation

And its just as likely the reason for eliminating reinstatement, was simple they decided to stop loosing the potential annual renewal revenue , with people opting out for a few years and then reinstating,, and at the same time they incentivize annual renewal ... None of which has be directly tied to signaling a definite shift to Subscription only, per se.

And while the annual subscription fee is more money than the annual Perpetual update/ support fee. There is a monetary downside to subscription only ::
Which is, a number of users could (including myself) then be tempted to opt out of the yearly subscription, and switch to monthly, then save up projects (particularly if you still have an old perpetual , which is most users) record and mix on that , then get the subscription for a month or two to take advantage of any needed upgrades then compile and export -- done ..
The only way that would be a problem would be if the subscription would not open older version files. BUT on the other hand the Yellowstone Caldera could blow and this would all be moot and the least of the first world worries ,,,,,jus sayin'

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-30-2021, 12:14 PM

Thnx for the thoughts. I think I’ll stick with my current perp. 👍

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 09-30-2021, 09:24 PM

Appears Perpetuals are here forever – or, at least until the very last Reinstatement sold by Avid or its Resellers has been redeemed.
Please note that there are no time limits imposed for Reinstatements:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/F...nstatement-faq
or
https://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/...nstatement-faq
Q: If I purchase a reinstatement and do not immediately redeem, will it expire?

A: No. When you purchase a reinstatement from a reseller, it does not expire and you are able to use it at a future time. Avid will continue to honor reinstatement redemptions during the promo and after we discontinue selling them.

Likewise, there were no time limits imposed for activating the latest promo Subscriptions – so you didn’t have to activate immediately:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...cription-Promo
FAQ:
Q: If I take advantage of this promotion, can I activate my subscription license at a later date?
A: You may activate the subscription license at a later date by clicking the Receive License and Downloads button only at your preferred start date of the subscription.

This offer was also released here:
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...plans-in-promo

Mentioned here, too:
https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=...5&postcount=67

Please see attached image of Avid’s offer in the FAQ

Update: Can’t believe that this offer has now been removed from the FAQ, after it’s been used to entice customers!

Mods, Super-Mods, or Higher: please fix!
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 09-30-2021 at 09:58 PM. Reason: 'You may activate the subscription license at a later date' pic added
Old 10-01-2021, 08:29 AM

This why, when the price of (the Annual pound of flesh) annual renewal went up after three or four years of disappointing updates, I bought two reinstatements and let my plan expire. The above information was all released at the time for the decision. I have not used my first reinstatement (almost two years) and still have not seen any thing great on updates except folder, catalina compatibility and Big Sur compatibility. Maybe 2022 it will get better but there is nothing I really use that is not there already.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 10-01-2021, 08:49 AM

Yes, but as I mentioned before, all these reinstatements and extensions apply to version 12 of protools. They could pull a fast one and come out with version 13.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2021, 09:09 AM

I don't think that is quite true. I believe they apply to perpetual licenses of Pro Tools 12 and later. In other words Pro Tool licenses 8, 9, 10 and 11 could not be reinstated to get the latest Pro Tools.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive