Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2008, 12:39 PM

Default mbox micro + mbox 1 + software compatibility question

right now i use an original mbox, running pro tools LE 6.9. i'm thinking of switching over from my ancient (well, 3 years old!) desktop to a powerful laptop, and getting an mbox micro as well to do some editing and mixing away from home.

my question is, will buying the micro and the pt le 7.4 that comes with it be easy to use to upgrade from 6.9 to 7.4 with the original mbox? i guess, in other words, will it be easy to synch up the two mboxes with the new 7.4 software? also, if so, how should i do that; install the mbox1 and 6.9 first, then the micro? do the micro first, etc.??

thanks!
Old 05-19-2008, 12:57 PM

Default Re: mbox micro + mbox 1 + software compatibility question

I would simply use 7.4 with both devices.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I would simply use 7.4 with both devices.
yeah, that's what i'd like to do...my question is can i and will it be difficult to use the 7.4 that came with the micro to record with the Mbox 1.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:27 PM

I was in a very similar situation about a month ago.

I just plugged both the mbox 1 and micro in at the same time and ran the 7.4 installer. PT launched fine. PT actually ran for me with both interfaces plugged in, but only one was operational at a time. Like I said I've been going about a month swapping the two with no issues.

BTW this was on a fresh install of Windows.

ihth

-kirk
Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 PM

HI Kirk,

Just to make sure that I am reading this clearly, If I'm running PT Mbox1 w/6.9.2 I could purchase the Micro & would get the full 7.4 PT upgraded program?

If so, that would solve some issues for me. Any help with input is appreciated!

Sergio
Old 12-15-2008, 08:29 PM

hey

so first I'd recommend calling digi and asking a sales rep. If you're actually interested in buying a product, they have people who will talk you through all the in's and outs of this process.

And no, buying a micro will not upgrade your current 6.9 license. It will however come with a brand new license and installer for 7.4 (or 8.0 soon) either in the box or through download.

So strictly speaking you'll have one 6.9 license and a 7.4 license. Now legally, I'm not sure whether those licenses are supposed to stay with the device (i.e. 7.4 with micro only) or not.

But I do know that if you plug both the mbox and micro in and run a 7.4 installer, you'll be able to use either device on 7.4 on the same machine without problems.

I also know that it's definitely not cool with digi to use both devices on two machines at the same time using 7.4 if you only have one license.

I think, but I'm not sure, that if you only ever have one instance of PT open at any given time, digi doesn't care what device you're using as long as you paid for as many licenses for the number of devices you are using (so if you have one 7.4 license and you're only running one computer at a time, it doesn't matter what kind of mbox you're using).--I THINK

Sorry if this confused things... call digi!

-kirk