Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-24-2006, 12:53 AM

Default PT on Quads?

Hi all,

Who is running PT7 on a new Quad PCIe? Any problems?

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:49 AM

Default Re: PT on Quads?

Seems pretty stable. Make sure you update all your plugs and RTAS instruments w/ latest versions. (BTW, N.I. Komplete 2 and Stylus RMX are working fine.) I have had problems with a few of the Sound Toys plugs (trying to instantiate Filter Freak crashes PT). They know that there are issues with their stuff on Quad G5's and are working on it.

You'll love how little time it takes to do file conversions and other processing. I am in constant"Tweak Head: mode now

Ryan Ulyate
Old 02-25-2006, 03:27 AM

Thanks Ryan!

Anyone else using PCIe on a quad or on a 2 or 2.3 Ghz dual core? Any info or warnings greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:42 AM

I'm not using it but I have heard many others complain about "sound toy" problems with the newer OS's in general. I don't think it's particular to your Quad. My friend has one and I will check with him as well, but again, I've seen MANY people's posts on another forum who have talked about Sound Toys stuff crashig PT on OS 10.4.4 and 10.4.3, but for some reason 10.4.5 worked better. that's just what I "heard" so don't quote me on it!
Old 02-25-2006, 03:15 PM

I'm running 7.1cs2 on a Quad (10.4.3) and it works great!
Old 02-26-2006, 07:37 AM

Does RTAS (particularly virtual instruments) take advantage of the extra power?
Thanks,
Joel
Old 02-26-2006, 02:11 PM

I'm having a number of expansion chassis related problems.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:42 PM

Default Digi we need an update for quad core rtas problems

Having some problems with RTAS and the quad cores - seems to be a combination of Digi and Native Instruments. The handling of multiple cores is not yet done correctly by digi or NI. The warning on the compatibility page covers some of the rtas problem. It is not only related to small buffer sizes as they state however. I am "trying" to run at 96k, I suspect these problems are still present at 44 or 48, but do not cause the same issues because of lower cpu usage, at least at 44 all the instruments run with only slight glitches.

some NI inst's wont run at 96K at all (Akoustik Piano) or with 3 or 4 processors enabled, others will run but the cpu load is so heavy that you can get cpu spikes that cause the machine to simply freeze, no recovery possible needs a reboot. This is probably not helped by the fact that the samples in these instruments are at 44 so they are upsampling within the plugin, hence the heavy cpu load.

some non NI plugins (moog modular, korg, minimonsta) work fine at 44 and 96k.

Bfd can cause cpu spikes at 96k but is ok providing you dont accidentally start two grooves running at the same time in which case it can freeze, but the machine will not. they just put out an update that says "Digi says mac os calls arent working"

Apparently Guitar Rig 2 only works with 1 processor but I have not tried it.

So the Quad core/HD3 rig cant run some rtas instruments at 96K yet. I believe I will have to use 44k and only 1 or 2 of the processors for sessions with NI stuff in them. Digi needs to fix their multiple processor rtas handling, and NI needs some updates, which apparently are being done. What is the use of having 4 cores when you can only run 1? I am actually thinking maybe I should have got a PC as most development seems to now be being done for mac/intel or intel, only. Hopefully these problems will be fixed soon.

also check out this post:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#966703
Old 02-26-2006, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Digi we need an update for quad core rtas problems

Digi & NI

I think it's the bane of my existence. Bad combination & the only problems I ever have... kompakt, kontact, impakt, intakt, KAPUT!
Maybe NI like pizza? Seems they don't like RTAS very much.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Digi we need an update for quad core rtas problems

The reasons for my asking the initial question are:

1. Digi just issued a warning that it is the last chance to get a fair upgrade price from MIX to HD, after March 23 it's over,
2. just now we are in the transition from PCI to PCIe,
3. just now we are facing the transition from PPC to Intel.

There could not be a worse time to dump my unbelievably trusty MIX for an HD. Moreover, we already know now that the recent G5's withPPC will be obsolete in a year, so are Digi and the development partners going to bother with fixing all the problems? Will I be able to have another stable system like my MIX? Of course I am now reading about all the problems, maybe the silent majority on this forum has no problems at all? What do you all think?

A confused songman.