Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2006, 11:43 AM

Default Any G5 Quads running PTLE succesfully?

I know there is a thread on this subject but I'd like to hear feedback from anyone running PTLE7cs2 successfully on a G5 quad. Even if it only actually uses 2 CPU's at this time.

Post encouraging feedback only
Old 01-10-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Any G5 Quads running PTLE succesfully?

Interesting..... The thread I was referring to has mysteriously disappeared.

"Quad G5 support When?"
Old 01-10-2006, 04:52 PM

I see that it's gone too, but the last time I looked at it people were getting pretty nasty and inappropriate. Digi might have deleted the whole thread if too many posts crossed the 'Terms of the DUC' agreement. The thread had been around for a while, so I don't think they were censoring the problem, in fact they addressed it several times within the thread by saying they were working on the issue but didn't have a timetable as to when a fix might be available. My guess is someone went way outside the usually lax boundries allowed by Digi so they had to kill the whole thing. Just speculation on my part, I don't work for them or anything, but I've been around this board for quite a while and it's pretty rare that Digi deletes a thread, something pretty drastic has to go down for that to happen.

Hopefully this thread can stay alive and be a constructive place to discuss the G5 quad issues as opposed to a vehement digi attack vehicle.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:11 PM

Haven't installed cs2 yet. Been running with cs1 since it came out, working on a couple of album projects - running between 20-30 audio tracks, multiple auxes with Reason 3, 40-50 RTAS plugs (pultec / bluetubes / PSP / Smack!, etc.), stereo auxes for reverbs / comps. All works flawlessly so far. Even guitar modelling with Line6 UX2 via SPDIF, no probs. Set to 2 processor usage, my busiest session so far is coming up on 50% on the activity monitor.

Among other higher-end apps for audio/video I purchased the Quad mostly for the capability of completely tracking/mixing albums "in-the-box" with Protools 7. What the Quad now offers me in speed and power performance is a huge jump compared to my last 2 powerbooks. I'm looking forward to testing the eventual cs.x that will unlock the Quad's full potential with ProTools.

Where did that "support when?" thread go?

-John
www.icedrum.com
Old 01-10-2006, 08:03 PM

I hope it wasn't my post that did it

whatever...I've invested many thousands of dollars. I feel I have the right to voice an opinion.

I'll try and be more constructive here...
Old 01-11-2006, 05:04 AM

I recently bought a G5 quad....and updated to 7.0 cs2...I have been tracking everyday with it....The only mix I'm working on right now is ROCK. So there aren't as many tracks as the usually pop and r&b ones. However, it is AMAZING how many plugins I can use...when I finish my rock mix I will count the RTAS plugins being used...I gotta have at least 25 plugins going with not much sign of slowing....and Pro-Tools loads up REALLY FAST even with alot of plugins...

Here are the drawbacks, I've noticed:

-iTunes sucks...that digicore or whatever it is called seems to freeze iTunes 20% of the time...and it is very unprofessional when clients come in with CD's and it freezes, then we have to explain why

-"Loses connection to hardware" at random times...it just shuts down...and when this happens it shoots a loud signal to my Event SP 8's

-"Bomb Factory" Tuner froze up 2 times outta 4, so I dont use that anymore, just in case.

-Melodyne 3.0.1 doesn't seem to work with the rewire. The melodyne bridge works though.

I have to say it has definitely gotten better the more I use it for some reason. I had 3 sessions today (14 1/2 hours) and I don't recall it freezing up. I definitely love it better than my PC I couldn't judge between a dual processor and the quad, cause before I was on a 2.8 PC. I also have been doing mainly vocal tracking lately with tracks completed, so I'm not sure yet with running Reason, sampletank and all that yet.

It is a little frusterating when something goes wrong, because it makes me feel very unprofessional...I feel Digidesign will have a new update soon. Until then, I'm still in a better boat than before, just much poorer Good luck!

God bless <><
Rosetta 800
Old 01-11-2006, 06:14 AM

Quote:
-iTunes sucks...that digicore or whatever it is called seems to freeze iTunes 20% of the time...
Slightly OT:
A new iTunes update appeared yesterday in the Software Update application. You might give it a try.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:06 PM

Just ordered My G5 Quad today with Applecare.........Holding thumbs
Old 01-11-2006, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I hope it wasn't my post that did it

whatever...I've invested many thousands of dollars. I feel I have the right to voice an opinion.

I'll try and be more constructive here...

It was that other guy. A little too opinionated. I tried to PM him, but it bounced. Digi banned him and deleted the entire two month long thread.... *poof*.... like it never existed....

kinda scary.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:30 PM

yikes.

well let's try and keep this thread more on target.

looking forward to an update...

-CV