Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2021, 02:14 AM

Default Hybrid Mixer and HDX - need a separate "mixing" high-latency DSP mode for tracks

Most of us with HDX cards have for the past 10 years mixed so that most of our plugins are native, hopping back and forth between the DSP mixer and the CPU on Aux Input tracks. With the Hybrid Mixer, we need that functionality back, but the other way around - to have a track be able to use AAX DSP plugins without it enabling the low latency DSP monitoring Mode and being unable to use native plugins after one DSP plugin in the chain. This would obviously add major latency, but it would be ok for mixing (like it was before with the DSP mixer).

This would enable us to still utilize the DSP on our cards for supported plugins, and it would also help break the "single core chain" prohibiting long processing chains on older multicore processors (like the ones on 2019 Mac Pros even, and especially the older MP's) that now give CPU errors even though overal multicore CPU power would be available.
Windows 11 23H2, Intel i9-14900KS, MSI PRO Z690-A D4, 64 GB DDR4 4000MHz/CL18, Corsair HX1000, 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0, 5TB M.2 PCIe 3.0, 2TB QVO, 2x6TB WD Black, Noctua NH-D15, Fractal Design Define R6 + RTX4070 - PT Ultimate 2024.3

Used to be/ Spare/ DAPS: Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 3,46Ghz 12 Core, 96GB RAM, OS SSD and Sata3 Audio SSD, macOS Mojave, PT Ultimate 2021.10, DAPS 3.7.1

HDX2, MTRX Studio & DAD MOM, HD I/O 16x16, Apogee AD/DA 16X/X-HD and ICON D-Command ES.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Hybrid Mixer and HDX - need a separate "mixing" high-latency DSP mode for tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwaidu View Post
Most of us with HDX cards have for the past 10 years mixed so that most of our plugins are native, hopping back and forth between the DSP mixer and the CPU on Aux Input tracks. With the Hybrid Mixer, we need that functionality back, but the other way around - to have a track be able to use AAX DSP plugins without it enabling the low latency DSP monitoring Mode and being unable to use native plugins after one DSP plugin in the chain. This would obviously add major latency, but it would be ok for mixing (like it was before with the DSP mixer).

This would enable us to still utilize the DSP on our cards for supported plugins, and it would also help break the "single core chain" prohibiting long processing chains on older multicore processors (like the ones on 2019 Mac Pros even, and especially the older MP's) that now give CPU errors even though overal multicore CPU power would be available.
I'm not clear on what you are saying. Given if want to be able to run DSP enabled in DSP mode and native plugins on the same track , you can simply run the session in regular HDX mode just like before, and not use hybrid... ??

OR Because in Hybrid mode,,,, you can run (as you say) "have a track be able to use AAX DSP plugins without it enabling the low latency DSP monitoring Mode and being unable to use native plugins after one DSP plugin in the chain." ------by simply putting track in "DSP safe mode" and run that track in native with any mix of DSP capable and native only plugins in any order ???

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 10-24-2021 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Hybrid Mixer and HDX - need a separate "mixing" high-latency DSP mode for tracks

I abandoned hybrid mixing. When I track with plugins it’s is usually a combo of native and dsp. It’s difficult to do that in hybrid mode and I found the delay compensation to be a few samples off. Other than the advantage of higher track/voice counts at the higher sample rates, there was no real advantage for me. I prefer tracking the way we have always done it and the flexibility plus ultra low latency it provides.

I’m planning on upgrading to hdx2 maybe hdx3 by the end of the year. That with my Uad octo card and native power of my current system is really more than enough for me. Maybe adding a M1 Mac mini for the acustica stuff.

Ej