How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Been quite a while since I read the license terms but doesn't Avid have a weasel statement in there that the terms are subject to revision at any time of Avid's choosing and without notice? I've been on the brown end of the stick where a company has changed it's license terms on it's own with no recourse to the customer. Even with a contract. I know it may not be legal but it happens.
From whatever I've heard, Avid would communicate that in advance (like surrender 9/10 to get 10/11/12).
Old 03-26-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
From whatever I've heard, Avid would communicate that in advance (like surrender 9/10 to get 10/11/12).
Ha....Avid communicate !!! That's funny JFreak.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Ogden View Post
Ha....Avid communicate !!! That's funny JFreak.
It means that they will issue a license surrender asset that removes your old license and replaces it/them with new one(s). They're not pulling licenses just like that.

btw. this is my 10000th post :)
Old 03-26-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
A scenario like surrender from one set of assets to another is different than what I'm talking about. In a surrender/swap the end user has a say if they want to swap or not. I'm talking a unilateral change on the part of Avid which would be possible if they had a weasel statement in the license about changing terms at their own discretion and without notice to the end user. There are license terms like that in a lot of places; it allows a company to cover it's butt when it wants to make changes (especially if it's changes the customer might not like). Cable TV companies in the US do it all the time.

QAPLA!
Old 03-26-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
It means that they will issue a license surrender asset that removes your old license and replaces it/them with new one(s). They're not pulling licenses just like that.

btw. this is my 10000th post :)
Congratulations on 10k posts

QAPLA!
Old 03-26-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Perhaps technically, but not legally possible to remove a legitimate license without your approval. We are all talking about legitimate licenses here.

Sorry to inform you but that is not true at all. During the whole ilok debacle a year or so back I had all sorts of bad things happen including losing legit licenses that had to be replaced. It can for sure happen and it happened to me.

Like many of you, I've been a long time pt user and have been on the duc since 2001. I miss the old days of being able to call digi up and get some real tech support...but I find that the kids that they have in tech support now are too new and dont really know the software as well as us, let alone how to fix anything.

as it stands now I will stick with pt 10hd. I may expand to hd native...maybe as dsp and native processing dont play well together.

I'll keep my tdm rig for tracking.

As I get older and budgets and record sales get smaller and smaller, I am getting more and more budget conscience. Gone are the days where i would drop $25K to get into any daw.

I just dont see the value in this. the software is so good as it is for what it does, I am having a hard time imagining what features as an hd user Avid would bring to the table to make $600 a year worth it at this point. Simply fixing up buggy software that should have not been as buggy in the first place doesn't quite cut it for me.

Avid i will need to be impressed before you get more money out of me and your cloud service, unless it interfaces with all major daws simply isn't enough...even if it did i would still require more.

Avid hope you got something better than this up your sleeve.

ej
Old 03-26-2015, 02:15 PM

That was due to people selling duplicate licenses that had happened while the transfer from one Ilok system to the other. It was not Avid that was pulling the licenses it was Pace that were pulling the licenses that were fraudulently sold when they should not have been. If you buy a stolen car unknowingly, it can still be seized from you by law. Same principle here. Avid did not pull valid licenses, Ilok pulled licenses that should not have been able to be sold, and in the whole debacle they (Pace) also pulled licenses they should not have pulled, which was a nightmare.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-26-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
That was due to people selling duplicate licenses that had happened while the transfer from one Ilok system to the other. It was not Avid that was pulling the licenses it was Pace that were pulling the licenses that were fraudulently sold when they should not have been. If you buy a stolen car unknowingly, it can still be seized from you by law. Same principle here. Avid did not pull valid licenses, Ilok pulled licenses that should not have been able to be sold, and in the whole debacle they (Pace) also pulled licenses they should not have pulled, which was a nightmare.
Sorry but that was not the case with me. I actually had licenses that were physically removed and PACE themselves could not explain why...that was the scary part. My case in addition to other issues was so bad that I got a personal email from Paul Allen CroncE (P.A.C.E.) himself. They assigned a specific point person to my case and it took months to get it completely settled and restored. I have said to them directly that no license should ever leave my Iloks (i have about 4 and well over 200 licenses) without my knowledge or permission...especially if they could not account to me exactly license for license what has changed. Their loyalty is to the developers. Not us.

So, the ilm is working better now but I keep most of my iloks off line as I cant afford the downtime or run the risk of something that I've paid for not being there when I need it.

Therefore I must say you are gravely mistaken.

ej
Old 03-26-2015, 02:54 PM

Default Re: iLok Licenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
That is not true.
I once had a PT 10 license removed that I had bought off of eBay. Turned out it was a stolen license, and so they took it from my account without a warning, and I had to investigate what happened.
So it technically IS possible.
Yes, looking at your case... you bought a license from someone that obtained it fraudulently and bought an upgrade code from someone else that apparently sold the same code to multiple buyers. Happy to review your case again to see if there is something we can do. Both via eBay? Did you report these?

Aside from any technical issues (which we resolved), the cases I worked on back then basically were cause by one of two things... some customers mistakenly had a duplicate license deposited and they sold that (not a responsible thing to do IMHO) or they bought a stolen license from a private seller. We worked directly with the affected customers and did as much as we could to resolve each case.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:56 PM

Default Re: iLok Licenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
But what about if you go to sync your iLok with the account at iLok.com and the PT asset is no longer there because Avid removed it? Or put a time limit on it? Wouldn't the act of syncing then delete the asset from your iLok?
We should not be removing licenses or changing a perpetual license to a timed one. Have you had either of these happen?