Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Sync X & SYNC HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2023, 07:11 PM

Default Sync HD with HD native thunderbolt and RME HDSPE

So before I go spending money I’m trying to figure out if this will work.

I need MADi in/out and would like to use RME HDSPE MADI FX . The issue is if I use FX with expansion card then the time code card will not work.

But I also need timecode in and out ( for condone automation and analog MTR)

I have a thunderbolt native box and a sync hd. Can I run both the native box and RME at same time so I can use the sync?
Old 04-05-2023, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Sync HD with HD native thunderbolt and RME HDSPE

What exact timecode cards are you talking about? I thought the HDSPE MADI FX is not compatible with the TCO/time code option card.

I'll give you $500 for the FX cards
Old 04-05-2023, 09:42 PM

HDSPe FX does not work with the TCO option. On top of that, Pro Tools does not support LTC by anything else than the Sync HD / SyncX. So even if you had an LTC input, it wouldn't matter to Pro Tools unless it is the Sync HD/ SyncX.

Everything else is translating 3rd party LTC to something Pro Tools will accept (like MTC) but that is still not the same.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:59 AM

Got it.

Assuming I need a minimum of three MADI lines.

What I might be able to do is run one FX card with TCO attached and add a second FX card (which would give me four MADI pipes and TC)

Anyone in here ever run multiple hdspe on one machine ?
Old 04-06-2023, 06:23 AM

Disregard.. just read the above.
Old 04-06-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenaria View Post
Anyone in here ever run multiple hdspe on one machine ?
Yes. Including 3 HDSPe MADI FX. The driver model for the interfaces has to be the same and each interface ends up on a different page in TotalMix (you flip between interfaces at the top right)

But I still don't understand your goal with the TCO addon. Unless it is for use with something other than Pro Tools because Pro Tools will not use it.
Old 04-08-2023, 03:31 PM

It depends on the specifics of your console automation, but I highly suspect you could sync it with Pro Tools without any additional sync specific DAW hardware.

If you need LTC, you can generator an LTC audio file using this website, then just drop it onto an audio channel in Pro Tools, and feed it out a dedicated audio output. It would basically be the same as using the LTC XLR output of a Sync HD.

Another options could be to generate MTC in Pro Tools, then use any one of the number of applications floating around that convert MTC to LTC. There was a free one called... Lockhead(?)... which worked really well.

Another option again could be to download the Dolby Atmos Renderer demo. It includes a Dolby LTC generator plugin that you can insert on a channel in Pro Tools, then route it out an audio output to your automation system. I haven't tried it, but I *don't* think it requires any license to use.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.