Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 10-13-2020, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Do I NEED an external sound card to run Protools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeydinner View Post
"What interface to buy? We have no idea because we have no idea what you are trying to do... what inputs do you need to the interface? what microphones or other devices will be used?"

I just want PT to load and be able to listen to playback. I've got Premiere Pro on there as well and really just need to monitor things.

I guess if I can't find any support for ASIO4ALL here I'll just buy that smallest cheapest interface (fewest in/outs) so people can at least use headphones for all software loaded.
What do you mean "find support for"? Pro Tools systems requirements are an ASIO sound device https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements. If you are setting stuff up and not sure what you are doing, start by trying to following the requirements. (nice to see the memory spec is now 16 GB, I missed that before). ASIO4ALL is a hack, not recommended, there are likely thousands of posts on DUC about issues with ASIO4ALL. Even if it worked OK for your quick tests the users may run into problems trying to use it later.

But regardless of this, God knows how you are going to get this all stable and usable by folks... what happens when Pro Tools starts up with the wrong Playback Engine, or is blowing CPU errors because users don't understand what settings to use? Are knowledgable staff going to be on hand to help users or are users already familiar with Pro Tools and Premiere Pro? Is somebody going to develop getting started or help guides and templates?

And personally Pro Tools is such a mess with questionable security issues I would *never* have it on a shared access computer outside of a very controlled environment. You planning to secure an iLok to it? Or require internet access to use cloud licensing? ... that cloud licensing will likely come with reliability and support overhead, especially if different folks mess around with the system.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-13-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:47 AM

I explained the lack of forethought when this plan and equipment was presented to me. I told them I know Premiere and PC's in general but didn't know a thing about Pro Tools so I said I should be able to get it installws. Had no idea it was going to be such a sideways experience.

When I said support for ASIO I meant people who have actually tried and succeeded to get it working on a PC without the hardware. If it's a hack job.... It would fit this project perfectly. Lol.

Please just try to remember it's for playback only.

The sound card problem is done. I'm not going to cry and run away on these guys. I'm all they've got.

Have you ever tried using ASIO4all?
Old 10-13-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeydinner View Post
Have you ever tried using ASIO4all?
Yes.

Maybe it is time for you to stop going over the same question and go purchase an interface and monitors. Shared headphones post COVID-19 no thanks...
Old 10-13-2020, 03:56 PM

Since you have Premier and, I'd assume, Adobe's subscription, why not just get Adobe Audition?

Also, what do you mean by, "it's for playback only"? If you just want to play back audio files, use VLC and the onboard soundcard.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-13-2020, 06:53 PM

I'm a volunteer. I'm trying to help my community. Never thought I'd get my ass handed to me by PT and then the PT community. Is there a Noob section in the forums that I missed? :)

These guys had already bought the licenses for PT and Adobe. I didn't even want to install Creative Cloud because most my friends use Resolve to edit video these days. None of my producer friends use Pro Tools so they're no help to me either. Grrr...

It's grant money so I guess the library feels they needed to buy the items listed in the grant. I've asked OVER AND OVER... "Who made this list and why were these particular things chosen?" and I get nothing from them. Apparently, they used this list for another Library but from what I'm learning here it'd be IMPOSSIBLE to get PT running without more hardware.

Playback. I keep saying that because they have no artist recording anything. That led me to believe people were going to bring digital tracks and just manipulate them in PT sort of how I do with Premiere video tracks.

I've told them to buy the Scarlet Solo hoping that will make PT happy and I can move on with my life.

I'm actually still in shock I ASIO4ALL didn't work properly. I'm going to continue playing around with it while I wait for hardware I guess. I thought someone would have said, "Dude, ASIO4All is probably looping your output back through your input and that's why you're getting feedback/static or something like that.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Yes.

Maybe it is time for you to stop going over the same question and go purchase an interface and monitors. Shared headphones post COVID-19 no thanks...
I've recommended an interface for them to purchase. Maybe it's time you shared your knowledge of ASIO4All?

But a shared mouse and keyboard are good to go? We'll probably ask them to bring their own. These are poor people by the way. We're just trying to give them something other than crime and drugs to do.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:32 PM

I have shared my knowledge.... don't do it. Get an interface. But go on keep asking...

Because you are set on helping confused people with wrong ideas and are lost yourself does not mean that you are doing the right thing. But getting an interface is a great start.

Nothing here makes sense. If you are trying to help underprivileged people with music or video audio related stuff for God sake don't inflict them with Pro Tools, and especially not on an touch screen/non-standard computer. Not outside of teaching classroom/mentoring environments aimed at career or semi-pro use.... then it is a great choice. its like folks wanting to get started learning about making 3D printed toys and inflicting AutoCAD and Inventor on them... way too much of a mess and way too complex to learn for new users.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:10 PM

I was lost when I rebuilt my first rotary engine (now I'm a pro). Didn't know anything about building homes. Built one from scratch and my house is dope. Pro Tools??? Bhahaha... I've only been involved with it for 2 days as I clean up someone else's mess. The more I read/watch the more I understand how
"unique" this plan is. I agree Pro Tools is a poor choice. I agree Surface was a poor choice. I also agree I'm a poor choice. Poor library.

I really do appreciate your input and you've helped a lot. I wish you weren't such a dick but at least you're replying. I can be a real prick when someone tells me I can't do something because I know I can and will succeed eventually.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:18 AM

Sheesh guys...

The Scarlet should work just fine, and it'll allow you to skip the ASIO4ALL mess, along with giving them a convenient place to plug in cans (and a nice obvious volume knob).

That said, this really is a pretty terrible idea, so if there's any chance at all that you're going to be on the hook for making it work every time they have a problem with the system, I'd find a way to get out of it now. I mean, unless they're going to pay you to come in every time...
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey

Last edited by leftalive; 10-15-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:11 PM

Why not just run native WASAPI?