Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2010, 12:55 AM

Default Urgent help - audient asp008 aes and digi 192

Can anyone help -just bought an Audient ASP008 and cannot get a digital signal out of the unit via aes into the Digi192....
I am getting a signal in on every channel but not a thing out digitally - the word clock is set to external on the ASP008 and the digi I ve set dig input to aes...
I ve gone into pro tools and set input in session on 8 tracks to A9 - A16 BUT NOT A THING comes in- any ideas? -
Hope someone can help
Thanks
Karl
Old 05-09-2010, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Urgent help - audient asp008 aes and digi 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by karljohnson View Post
Can anyone help -just bought an Audient ASP008 and cannot get a digital signal out of the unit via aes into the Digi192....
I am getting a signal in on every channel but not a thing out digitally…
Hello Karl,

A lot of things are left vague in your post. I’ll try my best.

On the back of the ASP008, did you select “AES” as its digital output format? (For AES, the push button must be in the “Out” position.)

Quote:
… the word clock is set to external on the ASP008 …
Make sure that your 192 (or something else) is set to be the clocking master (since the ASP is slaving).

Quote:
… and the digi I ve set dig input to aes. I ve gone into pro tools and set input in session on 8 tracks to A9 - A16 BUT NOT A THING comes in- any ideas? -
Again, a bit fuzzy.

In Hardware Setup - [Digital] tab

1) Select AES/EBU as the Input Format

In Hardware Setup - [Main] Tab

2) Select ascending “AES/EBU” pairs (i.e. “1-2” through “7-8”) for each pop up menu listed in the “Input” column, starting with the pop up labelled “9-10” (because it seems that you are using 1-8 for your analog signals).

IO Setup - [Inputs] tab

a) Create four stereo inputs.

c) Name the above “ASP 1-2”, “ASP 3-4”, etc.

c) For each of the above, create a pair of sub-paths (mono).
Incidentally, ProTools will append “.L” and “.R” extensions to these. I like to go in and edit the names of these mono paths with the appropriate channel name and number. For example, I’d rename the “ASP 1-2 .x” sub-paths as “ASP 1” and “ASP 2”, respectively.

d) Be sure to assign the proper “Pez” buttons on the grid, for all the above.

In your session, you should now be able to select “ASP X-X” as your inputs, and receive signals.

If things still don’t work, I’d investigate the cabling (also left unclear in the post) used to make the digital connection between the ASP-008 and the 192 I/O.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 05-09-2010, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Urgent help - audient asp008 aes and digi 192

If you're ruled out the obvious, the likeliest cause does seem to be the snake.

There are two different popular standards for running four stereo channels of AES/EBU through a DB25 connector. Are you sure you have the right one for the 192?

JSL