Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 10:18 AM

Default midi quantize/inaudible

Forgive my ignorance with the new midi menu...Why is it when I play in some 16th notes and quantize the hi-lit region after, the region is then inaudible? Generally, I just draw in the notes, but I was feeling exceptionally funky this morning.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: midi quantize/inaudible

This is a confusing scenario. First, when you pencil in the hihat notes, (without quantizing), do they play? If you can't hear them, it could be 2 things. 1-you are placing the notes on the wrong note line(on the piano roll). or 2-your default midi volume is too low to hear(the solution for that is in your midi setup where you should be able to choose a higher default volume-try 105-115 to start). I can't think of any reason that quantize would have any effect on this.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-15-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Re: midi quantize/inaudible

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, the notes do play without quantizing. They are on the right piano note. Two things happen when I experiment with different quants. One is, I get "extra" tiny midi notes which overlap what I've played. The passage appears quantized (shifts), but with those extra notes, it obviously doesn't play properly. The other thing that happens when I experiment with various groove templates is that the passage becomes "inaudible"...well, not quite. Upon further close listening, the notes' release is so quick, the notes are just clicks. I used to quantize in a similar way on 6.8.1 all the time...but now I am missing a technique or tip for 7.1??? I need help because quantizing and "grooving" by hand on the 64th grid and with midi offsets is making me gray .
Old 01-19-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Re: midi quantize...x factor

I have experimented with real time quantize enabled, and disabled. Attack, release, and preserve in various combinations...even groove templates. I always end up with tiny midi notes with "x" through them- underneath my recorded midi data. What setting have I overlooked or am unaware of? Is there a way I can prevent this from happening? I checked DUC and I RMO(much of)TFM, but... Thanks to any who can help...
Old 01-22-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Re: midi quantize...x factor

What was it? Pad controllers? Velocity curves on the hardware? Strange RPN events? Computer issue? Host latency issue? I don't know. But I switched off my midi controller while running PT and switched it back on. No over-lapping notes. Uh, yeah. Tears of joy.