Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2023, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Do I NEED an external sound card to run Protools?

Hey all,

FWIW, I have used ASIO4ALL to get PT audio to output through the Realtek Audio driver common on many PC laptops. It can even output audio to bluetooth airpods! It is a hassle but it does work if that is necessary. I have found that configuring ASIO4ALL while pro tools is running will immediately crash the program and may have been responsible for OP's static issues. If I want to run Pro Tools on my laptop and mix on headphones if I am on the go, I HAVE to follow these steps in order:

1) Plug in headphones to computer headphone jack
2) Open ASIO4ALL and disable Realtek speaker output
3) Make sure Realtek headphone output is selected in ASIO4ALL
4) Run Pro Tools and make sure that ASIO4ALL is the designated audio engine.

I am wondering if anyone is able to get WASAPI working with those common Realtek audio drivers?

I know this is a super old post but just wanted to share my knowledge in case this is helpful for others facing similar headaches. I definitely agree with others that this is not ideal by any means and a simple 2i2 or Solo is a far better solution when possible. Hope this helps!