Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 06-09-2022, 05:22 PM

Default Re: What happens when HD Native PCIE is no longer supported?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt View Post
I assume you mean 64 channels as in simultaneous recording, not track count? If it's track count I would get way over that.
Simultaneous recording channels.
Track count has to do with your computer only (though higher performance at lower buffers can be partially dependent on your audio drivers)

As for Antelope... I've had to toss a lot of their gear for Antelope bricking it with (forced) firmware/drivers or parts breaking that they have no spares of (we're talking 5 figure gear -- no excuse for that.) Even recently, they released two similar products in a very short span of time (a year) and more or less ignored the first product and its users. Ignoring the bugs the first users were experiencing and "fixing" it in the second product but then doing nothing for the first users.

The other thing, is most of their products are very software based. Other companies, using RME here, often make their products able to run standalone or operate without a computer. Antelope's hardware tends to be dependent on the software running on the computer. It can be problematic when that software fails or is poorly written (or hard to work with.)

Reason why you probably see less online complaints is (A) the biggest audio market dealer refuses to carry them any more (Sweetwater) and (B) those who paid the big bucks and were more demanding were burned and have refused to buy any Antelope gear any longer (all the studios I work for will not buy.)
That kind of self-selects the user base left.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:23 PM

I'd also ditch the HD Native and Omni. It's not providing anything you can't get somewhere else.

RME is always a top choice as others mention. Metric Halo is as well although supply shortages are affecting them so YMMV. Apogee and even the latest MOTU are good. All of these provide some sort of monitor control too. It's just a matter of the I/O specifics you need.

I also avoid Antelope. Their poor reputation is self-inflicted.
Old 06-12-2022, 04:25 PM

I wish to amend my initial reply(lest anyone think I am a mindless fanboy in any way). Having used HDN for nearly 10 years, I do like using the platform, and will continue for the foreseeable future, BUT; consider the following:

1-Its likely that HDN cards will never have MORE resale value than they have right now.
2-if another interface on another connection(USB, TB3, etc) can cover your needs, now might be a good time to make that move(see #1).
3-how much might it cost to repair a failing OMNI? Not sure anyone can answer that, but its worth a bit of investigation(starting with an Avid-approved service shop like allproelectronics.com out of Nashville).
4-if you can get away from Digilink hardware, then you might also be fine with Pro Tools Studio. The savings annually, plus the resale of your HDN card with Digilink cables can offset the cost of a new interface.

Food for thought

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-12-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I wish to amend my initial reply(lest anyone think I am a mindless fanboy in any way). Having used HDN for nearly 10 years, I do like using the platform, and will continue for the foreseeable future, BUT; consider the following:

1-Its likely that HDN cards will never have MORE resale value than they have right now.
2-if another interface on another connection(USB, TB3, etc) can cover your needs, now might be a good time to make that move(see #1).
3-how much might it cost to repair a failing OMNI? Not sure anyone can answer that, but its worth a bit of investigation(starting with an Avid-approved service shop like allproelectronics.com out of Nashville).
4-if you can get away from Digilink hardware, then you might also be fine with Pro Tools Studio. The savings annually, plus the resale of your HDN card with Digilink cables can offset the cost of a new interface.

Food for thought
Thanks for your reply.

I've been having a look and I agree, selling the HDN card now is a good idea while it still holds value.

There's no point in me having the OMNI repaired, I will sell it for parts, hopefully someone can get something useful out of it. One of my local stores has a brand new omni on sale for about $500USD (rough conversion) so the hassle of the repair is not worth it.

You are correct, Pro Tools Studio would meet my needs. I need to look into what happens to my current ultimate perpetual license. I know that there were some big changes recently but I wasn't paying too much attention. Either way the cost of Studio is about the same as my current support plan.