Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2022, 09:52 PM

Default CPU Temps and Intel Turbo Boost

Hey everyone! I've been dealing with the whole Intel Turbo Boost/CPU Temp/Fan nonsense for over a year or so. I'm on a MacBook Pro and there is literally no way to use PT with the turbo boost on because my temp immediately goes up to 80 C even with nothing recorded. I've moved all the plugins to the unused folder and tried about anything else you can think of and it still happens. I have fought through with turbo boost being disabled but it makes PT run like crap. I've been hoping that at some point an update would fix everything, but I realize now that it won't.

I'm curious if there are other intel MacBook Pro users out there having the same problem. Mines a 2019 i9 with 64GB of ram. Am also curious if people with other Mac computers are having this problem as well.

I'm on my last ditch effort to get a laptop (I have to be portable) running great with PT.

PS I've had 2 different laptops and done the reinstalling...talked to Avid... We're past that point... Now just wondering if people are in my same boat.

Also, my setup is an Apollo x8.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2022, 09:58 PM

Default Re: CPU Temps and Intel Turbo Boost

Have you tried using a laptop cooler? I don’t have the same computer as you but it helped my laptop performance a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XB7WZM2...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-29-2022, 10:01 PM

Hey! Yeah I bought a great one to get whatever help I could. The problem is that there is some sort of bug. If I have a session open, the moment I go into the playback engine and hit the button to enable turbo boost, my temp goes up 20 degrees within 20 seconds.

I appreciate the reply!
Old 04-29-2022, 10:07 PM

Did this just start? 2019, its not that old. Or has it been this way since you bought it?

Did you get this as a refurb? Used?
Almost every plugin
Old 04-29-2022, 10:28 PM

I bought it brand new. It started sometime after a PT update around Dec 2020. It was working great before that. I've definitely thought about going back to an older version, but at some point I would need to be current.

Also I should mention I'm using PT Ultimate.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2022, 11:41 PM

There has been many threads on DUC is the past about MacBook Pro cooling. Some folks have issues, many folks don't.

I have a 2019 15" i9 32 GB Ram. Pro Vega 20 4 GB GPU. No overheating or excessive fan problems (but that's a personal call) and I'm driving a LG 5K external Thunderbolt display (run with the laptop open and both displays in use) -- but if I want it to be quiet I'll disable turbo boost, and with turbo boost on it's not annoying for me... I have the laptop sitting a few feet away from the 5K screen I work at.

80C is as a temp is necessarily ultimately high... except its' apparently happening at almost no load. What happens to the temp and fan speed as you start running sessions with real work in them?

You've talked to Avid but what was actually said/tested?

You need to check that the system is fully optimized.

Make sure the discrete GPU is enabled.

Get the Macbook up off the table/desk on a stand, like a Rane Design M Stand or you can try laptop cooler and/or just have a fan blowing on the laptop. Sounds like you have done that already.

Inspect the MacBook Pro cooling vents are not blocked with dust/fluff (got me once on an older MacBook Pro).

Disconnect external monitors, does it run cooler just driving the built in display?

Get all the third party plugins moved out of the plugin folder. Can you then run a simple small session?

Disconnect the UAD interface and test with built-in output or whatever it is called as the playback ending. Just say playing back audio from a simple session.

What other software is installed/running? Not sure uninstall everything or do a clean macOS install and install Pro Tools and ILM and nothing else and test.

Disable or better uninstall any antivirus or similar crapware.

You say things get hot but what are the fan speeds doing?

Install iStat and look at all the temps (lots there to look at), fan speeds etc. (google for typical fan speeds if unsure). Anything stand out?

Video engine disabled? Beside possibly streaming more video (which I am assume you are not) Ultimate is unlikely to make a difference.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-29-2022 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:44 PM

I have the same MBP. It does suck in that respect. I can only use it with closed-ear headphones and no need to mic anything live. Probably going to trade in for an M1 MBP this summer to deal with that problem.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 04-30-2022, 12:10 AM

Hey Darryl! Yeah I've done all the optimization stuff. Tested it with no external monitors, bluetooth, wifi etc... Multiple phone calls and emails with Avid and nothing worked. Honestly, I think that some of my communication with them is what led to them adding that feature to disable the turbo boost. I was pretty vocal on here about it when it first started happening and had some of the higher ups reach out to me.

And yeah I've unplugged the x8 and done a smaller session...still happens. I've done tests where I'll record the same thing in Pro Tools, then switch to Logic Pro and it will be 60 C in Logic and 80 in PT.

Once that turbo boost is on the fans go up over 5000 rpm and its so loud there's no way I could do a vocal or acoustic guitar. I use an app/widget called Fanny that was recommended by some at Avid to keep an eye on everything.

Mainly I was just sitting here sulking in my PT misery and was curious if other people with an intel laptop were having this same problem...and maybe if someone else was having a good experience, what were they using...

I appreciate the help!!!
Old 04-30-2022, 06:19 PM

Same laptop and specs, sounds like a jet engine at times.I have tried to identify the problem and it appears to be that Pro Tools is using the video card at full load even when idle.
Prior to Monterey 12.3 this exact behavior happened across the OS when using an external monitor. Luckily it was resolved but PT is still doing it.
I hope we can escalate this so it gets resolved, I’m going to open a ticket.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:36 PM

I'm pretty sure it is an Intel i9 issue. Most people experience the high fan speed and noise because the chip generates so much heat that it is necessary to dissipate that heat to avoid damaging the chip and other components. I run an i9 desktop (running Windows) and it heats up the whole room given enough time. I have 3 case fans plus a water-cooled custom loop with four 120mm fans on the radiator to keep that chip temperature under control. Now imagine that same chip confined to a thin enclosed laptop case, while generating the same amount of heat. It might be time to consider selling or trading the i9 MBP in for one of the M1Pro/M1Max based MacBook Pros or the M1Max/M1Ultra Mac Studios while the Intel based unit still has value.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1